Talk

Advanced search

Questionnaire for parents of child aged 5 - 11 exploring child diet and activity: PhD study

(40 Posts)
theotherdoctorbrown Thu 30-Jul-15 10:16:27

We are exploring attitudes and concerns about child diet and activity for primary school aged children.

We are looking for parents of primary school aged children (5 - 11) to complete a questionnaire examining their thoughts about feeding their child and helping them be active. In particular we are interested in the different barriers you might face and how this might fit with your wider lifestyle. The overall aim is to hopefully design a useful intervention for parents who want more support in helping their child eat more healthily or be more active.

The study is run by Murhaf Korani, PhD student at Swansea University and supervised by Dr Amy Brown.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to get in contact:

Murhaf Korani email: 748425@swansea.ac.uk

Dr Amy Brown email: a.e.brown@swansea.ac.uk

The survey (and more information) can be found at the link below

www.surveymonkey.com/r/S3DX96T

Thank you very much for your time

Guitargirl Thu 30-Jul-15 10:39:29

I have completed the questionnaire. I have a few points of feedback:

1. It would benefit from a thorough proofread - there are lots of typos, especially on the first page.

2. It would be helpful if you could state somewhere how long you expect it to take to complete - it's rather long.

3. Maybe this is deliberate but there seems to be a lot of repetition in the questions especially in the latter part.

theotherdoctorbrown Thu 30-Jul-15 11:51:33

I shall have a look thank you!

I should have added a time sorry. How long did it take?

Guitargirl Thu 30-Jul-15 12:06:29

It took me 15 minutes.

Good luck!

theotherdoctorbrown Thu 30-Jul-15 14:17:06

Thank you smile

theotherdoctorbrown Thu 30-Jul-15 16:00:58

flowers

theotherdoctorbrown Thu 30-Jul-15 19:09:15

smile

theotherdoctorbrown Thu 30-Jul-15 19:21:38

flowers

theotherdoctorbrown Thu 30-Jul-15 19:29:50

smile

YeOldeTrout Thu 30-Jul-15 19:30:59

Postcode should be first 3 or 4 characters, not 'first 3'
My postcode is like NE15 1YX sort of thing, you want NE15 not NE1

Your Likert scale is slightly wrong, 'strongly disagree' should be to the left of 'Disagree' on Q24.

It's just a survey design thing, but when you're scrolling down the pg to answer questions the Likert scale headings disappear, so then I can't see what I'm ticking, just try to remember that Left is disagree & right is agree but scrolling back & forth is annoying.

I didn't grow up eating proper meals, still mostly am a grazer. What is a 'meal' anyway?

ps: you should have tested this on a few friends first & asked them for criticisms.

theotherdoctorbrown Thu 30-Jul-15 19:40:33

Thank you. Changed.

theotherdoctorbrown Thu 30-Jul-15 19:52:27

smile

APlaceOnTheCouch Thu 30-Jul-15 20:05:54

I started this earlier but had to give up because it took much longer than I was expecting to complete it partly because as a PP said, the scale disappears as you scroll down so it's difficult to keep track; the list of nationalities isn't in alphabetical order and some seem to be missing; there are negatives which mean some of the answers demand a double negative which isn't intuitive.

You'd probably get more responses if you split in into smaller sections so the scale is always visible. You proofread to reduce the repetition. You streamlined your nationality choices (there is no reason for the way they appear) and tbh I almost gave us when I struggled to find Irish as it's pretty standard in a nationality list.

If I have more time later, I might try it again.

theotherdoctorbrown Thu 30-Jul-15 21:38:14

I'll make sure the nationalities are in alphabetical order Thank you.

Good idea about splitting - running through it on a mobile seems trickier. Survey Monkey issue I think

Thanks for the feedback

theotherdoctorbrown Thu 30-Jul-15 22:30:02

smile

OldBeanbagz Thu 30-Jul-15 22:54:22

Agree with other about the need for proof-reading, there being a lot of repetition and also the disappearing scale. Do you really need so many nationality options too? Even my council manage to narrow it down to around 10 with an option to add an 'other'.

Despite all this i managed to complete it though you seem to assume that all children abuse screen time and need control over the amont of sweets they eat!

theotherdoctorbrown Thu 30-Jul-15 23:22:49

Ah not am assumption - they are validated questionnaires and just the way they are phrased. Definitely not assuming that! smile

Am going to try and sort the disappearing issue too ASAP.

Thank you again

theotherdoctorbrown Fri 31-Jul-15 08:50:47

smileo

APlaceOnTheCouch Fri 31-Jul-15 17:06:18

I finished it (survey monkey had kept my earlier answers so it was much quicker!). The new layout is much better and clearer.

I've remembered the other questions that struck me as a little odd. It was concerning disciplining a child for watching TV or playing games without permission. That does seem to assume that they do that because if they don't do it, the only accurate answer is 'never' but that could be interpreted as the parent ^never disciplines when their DC does that' when actually our TV and game playing are so closely monitored it is never an issue we have to face iyswim

theotherdoctorbrown Fri 31-Jul-15 21:36:21

Yay! I'm very pleased it worked better in its new format

I see what you mean with that question. That one again is from a validated questionnaire and the tick boxes of course have their downside. I'll pass all this on. Murhaf will also likely be doing interviews to try and explore these issues.

Thank you again for your time and help

theotherdoctorbrown Sat 01-Aug-15 14:16:05

smile

theotherdoctorbrown Sat 01-Aug-15 17:46:16

smile

theotherdoctorbrown Sat 01-Aug-15 20:53:35

smile

Kitella Sat 01-Aug-15 22:11:31

I completed the survey, but found a few issues:

My daughter is very sporty and has a very muscular figure. None of the pictures suited her, as I had to choose either skinny or fat. She's muscular so isn't slender, but there's not an ounce of fat on her either.

Some of the other questions I found difficult to answer - for example, I don't monitor her use of video games but that's largely because she's not really into them, so I don't need to. Likewise with snacks - I don't monitor as she is free to help herself, but that's usually fruit or carrots.

theotherdoctorbrown Sat 01-Aug-15 22:34:40

Thank you. All very relevant points. Hoping these will come out in the later interviews. Thank you again smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now