Talk

Advanced search

Please fill in Gender Pay Gap survey

(21 Posts)
Givemecoffeeplease Wed 15-Jul-15 19:48:42

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/closing-the-gender-pay-gap

Posting here for traffic. This should be close to all our hearts.

specialsubject Wed 15-Jul-15 20:01:50

interesting that we get consulted.

be aware that you don't have to provide identifying info, just leave the boxes blank.

no-one will like what I said, but that's democracy for you.

NotSparta Wed 15-Jul-15 20:26:15

So I can leave out my name and address?

Do you think they'll exclude any data with no name/address as it cant be verified iyswim?

MrsHathaway Wed 15-Jul-15 20:32:34

Clicky link.

Will look now, thanks.

specialsubject Wed 15-Jul-15 20:42:29

who knows what they will do?

nothing to stop you giving false details, anyway. It is an https site but there's no need for identifying details so don't give them.

Done. Really disliked the tone that it's women's fault we get paid less because we choose poorly paid jobs, completely missing the point that 'traditionally female' roles are poorly recognised and rewarded by a patriarchal society. Meh.

NotSparta Wed 15-Jul-15 21:25:38

Is it just me or are the questions odd? Stuff about "assessment of the costs" of address the pay difference.

I clicked on individual at the start. In fact I went back and double checked as they are so strange.

Yes I thought that was odd too. I was expecting the actual cost to appear after my estimate was entered as well.

NotSparta Wed 15-Jul-15 21:35:44

Good! Glad it's not just me!

I skipped that question as I just didn't know what to put!

MrsHathaway Wed 15-Jul-15 23:10:05

Yes, agreed. And I bet it comes back with "hey look the estimated spend to achieve this is 3/6d and a piece of string".

Hero1callylost Wed 15-Jul-15 23:19:17

Yes bizarre questions - I don't have a clue what support my employer would require to implement the regulations!

Oh well, I did my best.

Hero1callylost Wed 15-Jul-15 23:27:11

BTW is it just me or shouldn't boys be encouraged to consider a wide variety of careers too? Surely girls would be more able to get some traditionally male jobs if boys were equally encouraged to consider jobs that are traditionally female? Maybe I'm being simple confused

BackforGood Wed 15-Jul-15 23:42:03

Well, I tried, but I'm not sure it's going to be much help. Lots of 'don't knows' or skipping questions from me I'm afraid.
Seemed to be aimed at HR teams in business, rather than the general public??

Janethegirl Wed 15-Jul-15 23:50:05

However it's normally women who are stay at home parents. Is this the reason for the pay differentials?

Frostycake Thu 16-Jul-15 00:03:20

Well, Ive given them my full and frank opinion over the last hour grin

Agree that the cost questions are bizzare (said as much). Surely it depends on the size of the company. Doing it for 5,000 is surely going to cost more than doing it for 500.

Frostycake Thu 16-Jul-15 00:05:41

Janethegirl partly but it's also the 'hair & care' penalty of the low paid occupations traditionally taken up by most women.

specialsubject Thu 16-Jul-15 10:16:20

of course it is.

if there ARE organisations that pay different genders different wages for the same job, that has been illegal for decades. I would be interested in real examples if this happens.

I've done lots of jobs in a wide variety of sectors, and pay has been transparent in all of them. NEVER seen gender inequality in pay. Seen competence inequality but that's another story...

ChristmasEnthusiast Thu 16-Jul-15 10:54:07

Poorly designed survey I think. Felt quite obstructive to me.
The consultation document lists the costs question as "^If you are an employer^, what are the estimated and actual costs of implementing gender pay reporting?"

The actual question misses the part in italics. So I used the 'other' box to write "not an employer" and left boxes blank.

KatherineMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 16-Jul-15 14:14:14

Hi Givemecoffeeplease, we are going to move this over to our not-for-profit surveys for you.

Hamiltoes Thu 16-Jul-15 16:38:59

special there are definitely orginasations that do this, I work for one of them!

And the amount of women i've seen on the cusp of promotion, then come back and are shoved in the "same" post i.e same job title, way less responsibility with a different manager who are right back to square one is unbelievable.

Hero1callylost Tue 28-Jul-15 13:44:23

Bumping this again as my work have just issued a simplified survey (to a women's group) with the intention of canvassing opinions before providing a company response.

They've asked us not to fill in the survey ourselves! Feel a bit cross about that.

Has anyone else's work replied/intending to reply?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now