Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What do you think of baby routines? MSc Student Research Project

(42 Posts)
MScSwanseaUni Tue 14-Jul-15 21:55:25

We are looking for mums with a baby aged 0 - 12 months to take part in a study exploring the use and impact of baby books that suggest using routines for sleep, activity and feeding.

The study is run by Victoria Harries, an MSc Student on the Child Public Health degree at Swansea University. The study has full ethical approval.

These books have a multi million pound market but there is little research as to how parents use these books and the outcomes that they have. We are interested in exploring whether you found them helpful or not, how and why and how they may have affected your choices in caring for your baby.

We are interested in hearing from any mum with a baby aged 0 - 12 months, regardless of whether you have read any of these books or not.

The questionnaire can be found below and should take around 15 minutes to complete (less if you have never read any of these books).

Thank you very much for your help

www.surveymonkey.com/r/babycarebooks

MScSwanseaUni Wed 15-Jul-15 07:10:38

smile

GreenBoatRedBoat Wed 15-Jul-15 08:27:10

tried but takes too long to fill in - 15 mins + with a toddler and baby in the room?!

MScSwanseaUni Wed 15-Jul-15 09:31:31

Sorry blush

Should perhaps revise to 15 minutes if you have a moment alone ...

Thank you for trying smile

MScSwanseaUni Wed 15-Jul-15 12:29:57

smile

MScSwanseaUni Wed 15-Jul-15 19:45:45

smile

MScSwanseaUni Wed 15-Jul-15 22:03:23

cake

ClassroomDynamic Wed 15-Jul-15 22:18:21

Hey I'm trying to stay at the top!shock

MScSwanseaUni Wed 15-Jul-15 22:40:11

grin

MScSwanseaUni Thu 16-Jul-15 19:29:40

smile

MScSwanseaUni Fri 17-Jul-15 11:58:34

brew

MScSwanseaUni Sun 19-Jul-15 22:15:36

cake

MScSwanseaUni Sun 19-Jul-15 23:03:23

star

FATEdestiny Sun 19-Jul-15 23:36:00

You have separately asked how many children and then how many older children I have - these are the same question just worded differently.

Q27 - Do you typically follow any form of controlled crying?

Very badly worded question. It should say "how does your baby go to sleep" or similar. You give option of various sleep training methods, 2 out of 7 are CC. There is an inference that you are suggesting a level of "controlled crying" when in fact 5 of the options are not controlled crying at all.

You also don't give the option of more than one answer. I stay with my child until she falls asleep. I also don't pick her up to settle her. She also falls asleep on her own (well, with a dummy - not sure how that fits in). So that is three options I could tick.

I would also point out that there are several leading questions.

MScSwanseaUni Mon 20-Jul-15 10:03:27

fate - thank you. I have amended the question set up as I thought it was an option to tick more than one.

Vicky0204 Wed 22-Jul-15 09:10:59

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer. I really appreciate all your help.

theotherdoctorbrown Sun 26-Jul-15 12:54:11

smile0

theotherdoctorbrown Mon 27-Jul-15 17:24:41

star

theotherdoctorbrown Mon 27-Jul-15 19:08:13

smile

theotherdoctorbrown Mon 27-Jul-15 20:20:30

smile

theotherdoctorbrown Tue 28-Jul-15 16:25:44

smile

Jumpupjumpup Tue 28-Jul-15 17:58:49

I think there is a massive problem with your survey. You ask whether people have read -'parenting manual'-type books, presumably with the intention of correlating responses to this question with other reported behaviours etc.

But you take no account of and do not distinguish between the range of books available - from Gina Ford-type parent / routine-led, to Dr Sears-type baby-led, to more balanced 'what to expect' type books.

There probably is a correspondence between reading GF and using CC, for example - but you will not pick up on it because people who answer 'yes' to the book question will not only be GF-readers...

theotherdoctorbrown Tue 28-Jul-15 21:01:04

We had this problem! Short of asking for responses for every book we decided on asking about those books that suggest certain routines for sleep and feeding so I wouldn't really count Sears as that.

We also do ask 'what books' so if people are listing continuum concept for example we know not to take that as a strict routine.

It's exploratory work for an msc thesis so does have limitations. But thank you smile

theotherdoctorbrown Wed 29-Jul-15 11:43:33

smile

Artandco Wed 29-Jul-15 11:50:25

I tried, but virtually all the questions I had different answers to.

Ie bedtime for us would be a routine of baby falling asleep on sofa or blanket with us in living room around same time each night, then co sleeping with us. We usually just lay baby down and they settle themselves and we would obviously be in Same room as living area but not on top of them. That's fairly normal amongst friends, yet none of questions ask

Also I have read many books. Most I read in horror of what they suggest. So obviously don't follow anything they say, but I have still read them. You just ask if they have been read as if it's a benefit and parents follow them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now