Talk

Advanced search

MNHQ hasn't verified any of the posters on this topic. Please be cautious when sharing personal information.

Helping manage pain in labour

(12 Posts)
HKD2018 Sat 31-Jan-15 12:51:06

Hello mumsnet,

I am doing research into how women perceive labour pain. Research like this helps future doctors such as myself understand labour pain and offer better care to mums, their babies and their support team.

I would greatly appreciate if you could take 2 minutes to answer these 10 multiple choice questions and pass the survey on to as many people as possible. It is 100% anonymous.

Survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/C5TPPFY

(I hope this link works)

Thank you very much in advanced!

Best wishes,
Hannah

CultureSucksDownWords Sat 31-Jan-15 13:00:17

Don't you think your survey should have more info about who you are, who you're working for, who's supervising you, what you're going to do with the information etc? Is this for academic research purposes, if so what are they?

Moresproutsplease Sat 31-Jan-15 13:08:35

Done.

I found the question asking how anxious I was about pain in labour a little confusing. I wasn't anxious that I was in horrendous pain as i was aware it was normal and didn't mean anything was wrong, but I was anxious because I was in such pain iyswim. I gave that one a 10.

ClariceBeanthatsme Sat 31-Jan-15 13:14:26

Done smile

HKD2018 Sat 31-Jan-15 18:12:36

I've never done anything like this before so I wasn't sure how much information was too much.

As I said above, the research is being used so help future doctors better understand labour pain and therefore be of more assistance to Mothers.

I am a second year medical student in Scotland, doing an SSC (student selected component) in Pain Management and my area of interest is comparing pharmacological and non-pharmacological methods, what people find more effective and the factors that influence this.

The results will only be used in my report and presented to 15 members of my year and consultant anaesthetist.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for all the responses!

CultureSucksDownWords Sat 31-Jan-15 18:41:32

Does your university have anything like this advice for doing surveys?

LuxuryTrifle Sat 31-Jan-15 18:48:20

I agree with Culture that surveys like this need to have quite detailed upfront detail about how data will be anonymised and administered etc. Usually you need to file an ethics review too. Speaking as someone in a research ethics role at a university.

HKD2018 Sat 31-Jan-15 19:19:19

Hello ladies,

I've closed the above link until I can get you the information you without publishing any personal information about myself which I hope you can respect.

Surveys are widely used by students preparing reports in this way with no intentions to published.
The result will only be used so I can say, for example: 30/100 women asked, found epidural to be the most effective method of pain management.

If you have done the survey you will have noted that at no point does it ask for any information about you that could be used to identify you.

HKD2018 Mon 02-Feb-15 11:27:52

Hello again,

Having spoken to my supervisor, it has been confirmed that I do not need any ethical approval to run a survey.
The information gathered is anonymous - there is no way for it to be tracked back to individuals. Results will only be used to draw conclusions about people's opinions and will not altered medical practice.

If you wish to take part the link is: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/C5TPPFY

To those of you who have questions you can message me.

I feel that the comments above, which may have been meant as constructive, where a real blow to my confidence since this is my first survey and as it transpires I had done everything correct. There are other surveys on mumsnet which are for dissertations etc which have not declared any ethics approval; they also probably don't require it but nobody has questioned their integrity.

Thank you to those who have taken part, I really appreciate it.

H

CultureSucksDownWords Mon 02-Feb-15 13:24:08

HKD2018, I'm sorry that you took my comments to be not constructive and to be an attack on you. You can report posts that you feel break the Talk guidelines. My questions were genuine questions about the purpose of the survey, and were asked to find out more about the aims and purpose of the "research" that you were undertaking.

McFox Mon 02-Feb-15 13:36:28

Done, hope it helps.

HKD2018 Mon 02-Feb-15 14:56:25

CultureSucksDownWords,

I appreciate your comments and they did make me question some things but I just wanted to reassure everyone else that everything was in line with ethics and university guidelines.
Again, the purpose of the research is so I can make a conclusion as to what method of pain management women in labour found best for them.
It will have no medical impact what so ever. The conclusion will be stated in my report which will be submitted for marking by the university, so I can hopefully pass and make it into 3rd year.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: