Advanced search

MNHQ hasn't verified any of the posters on this topic. Please be cautious when sharing personal information.

University dissertation about being a mother. £50 Amazon voucher up for grabs!

(5 Posts)
joebennett Tue 20-Jan-15 00:35:43

I'm in my final year at university and I'm studying the effects of Facebook on being a mum, as well as on being a grandmother. I'm studying both people with and without Facebook, so please don't be put off!
There is a £50 Amazon voucher up for grabs as part of the raffle if you complete the questionnaire. It should take you under ten minutes.
Please send this to any friends and family, and get in touch if you're interested in the results! The link is below.
Thank you very much for your time!
Joe Bennett
University of Kent

18yearstooold Tue 20-Jan-15 00:52:19

If the study is about the effects of Facebook on the ability to mother, why are the majority of questions regarding depression, physical ability of my mother and menopause?

Makes no sense

joebennett Tue 20-Jan-15 01:28:51

Excellent question!

I didn't want to ramble too much and lose people's interest but, since you ask, I am studying Facebook in the context of human evolution. Facebook is extremely novel in that it removes all need for face-to-face interaction during communication. Essentially, this drastic change of affairs is something that, in evolutionary terms, humans are just not ready for.

The questions regarding grandmothers arethere because, as a subsection of the study, I am studying the differences between Facebook and non-Facebook users and whether being a mother or grandmother (grandmothers obviously being mothers themselves) makes a difference. In the evolutionary context, grandmothers are significant in that humans one of the only sole species to undergo the menopause. This is hypothesised to have evolved so that grandmothers can look after their daughters' children so that the latter have more time in which to reproduce without having to worry about childcare.

Please don't be put off by the seemingly irrelevant questions. I can assure you that the questionnaire has been okayed by my doctoral supervisor Doctor Sarah Johns as completely relevant. As I say, do feel free to contact me about the results of the study and I'd be very enthusiastic to disseminate them accordingly.

Please do continue with the questionnaire! Hope I've cleared up any confusion for you.

PS If you're interested, look at the grandmother hypothesis on Wikipedia:

toothlessoldhag Tue 20-Jan-15 04:26:54

OP this should be posted in - you need Mumsnet's permission before using it for research purposes. I've reported.

n.b. have you registered your study with your local Data Protection Officer? You should add information to that effect if/when you have permission to put up this survey.

Good luck with your research.

FishWithABicycle Tue 20-Jan-15 04:34:29

I thought that telling your subjects that much detail about the hypothesis that you are researching was liable to bias and invalidate the results? I've taken part in psychology studies before a few times (live near a dept and occasionally see interesting appeals for subjects) and they never tell me why they ask or what they are hoping to prove until after I've completed their questionnaire.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now