Talk

Advanced search

Healthy Ready meals for children

(34 Posts)
mimi0608 Thu 01-Jan-15 21:20:31

Hello all,

I am Mimi and I am a student innovator.

I have a new business idea for creating Healthy ready meals for children.

The dishes will also be different for Girls and for Boys, because a study has shown that Girls and Boys at different ages require different nutritional intake.

I believe that this product will have the potential to help to fight obesity and will give you the extra help you need on a busy day.

I would like to ask you, what are your views on a product like this to be differentiating between the sexes? Would you buy a meal that was specifically created for the needs of your little girl or a boy? Or would you think its inappropriate?

I thank you upfront for all your responses which will be highly appreciated.

Sirzy Thu 01-Jan-15 21:22:46

I would think it was a daft marketing ploy!

Zamboni Thu 01-Jan-15 21:26:44

I wouldn't buy because it seems ridiculous and also because DD and DS (3 and 2) always want the same anyway.

BMO Thu 01-Jan-15 21:28:08

Different meals for boys and girls sounds ridiculous I'm afraid.

You can already get plenty of kids ready meals.

Longtalljosie Thu 01-Jan-15 21:28:39

It would really annoy me. Is the different intake because boys are on average a tad taller? What about shorter boys / taller girls?

Pico2 Thu 01-Jan-15 21:28:50

I'd want to see the study. But we don't really buy ready meals for DD.

Blankiefan Thu 01-Jan-15 21:29:18

If people care a lot about nutrition, they're going to home cook most of their child's food. They'd have to care a lot / be very into nutrition to understand what differences girls & boys have at each stage. I've never heard about this despite doing a reasonable amount of weaning research...

In all honesty, I'd think it was just an excuse to sell pink meals for girls and blue ones for boys ( or similar) and I'd thoroughly reject this as a concept. I don't believe that the odd ready meal could deliver a significant sex-specific benefit even if there is medical back up to the claim. And you'd need to produce lots if evidence to convince people to solely use your ready meals (although I suspect the sparkly packaging would be used to lure in the little girls in a feat of pester power....)

Yours cynically....

PS I'd enjoy being a fly on the wall when you pitch it to Tesco tho!

AuntieStella Thu 01-Jan-15 21:30:15

No I would not buy gendered food.

What studies are you relying on for this concept?

Snakesandpropertyladders Thu 01-Jan-15 21:33:04

I would not be interested in gendered food either. I would be interested in children's ready meals that cater for food allergies though!
It would be handy to be able to grab something quick for those days I don't have time to cook, but nothing is suitable for my DS with multiple food allergies.

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 01-Jan-15 21:41:22

gendered meals? ridiculous.

It's not gender that dictates what you need to eat surely it's activity levels and age and size of child that are more of an influence.

ready meals are fine for convenience as part of a healthy varied diet. I don't believe however that a pre packed ready meal is remotely good for anyone let alone children and likely to result in.poor nutrition if people rely on them as they are apparently superior to other convenience food.

who's going to buy two. separate ready meals for two children of different genders when Iceland sell a lasagne a for like £3 big enough for both.

poocatcherchampion Thu 01-Jan-15 21:44:31

It might appropriate for you to read about mumsnets "let toys be toys" campaign and then consider whether this forum is a good place to ask advice for your bonkers concept.

mimi0608 Sat 03-Jan-15 14:52:27

here is just one of the advises I have found in regards to the right nutrition for children

www.weightlossresources.co.uk/children/nutrition_calorie_needs.htm

TwistAndShout Sat 03-Jan-15 14:56:31

Men and Women need different calories etc but I wouldn't buy gendered ready meals for DH and I so can't imagine buying for the children.

EhricJinglingHisBallsOnHigh Sat 03-Jan-15 14:59:19

Girls and boys ready meals? Are you having a giraffe?

mimi0608 Sat 03-Jan-15 15:01:24

thank to all of you who gave me a constructive feedback, I will take it into the account, and even look into the issue of catering for children with multiple allergies,
but I do think you should try to understand that there is difference between girls and boys whether you like it or not (as you can see in the link above), so I don't think its fair ignoring it.

I also thought, that it would be helpful for parents if children wanted to eat the meal,because it will be more personalized and tailored to them,especially if its healthy

EhricJinglingHisBallsOnHigh Sat 03-Jan-15 15:03:07

That link suggests that boys and girls need slightly different calorie intakes (on average of course) but your ready meal idea is irrelevant to that as children will have different amounts of other food during the day. As to the vitamin and mineral make up of their diet there is no difference in needs. Wouldn't you be having the same meals just slightly smaller portions for girls? That's an absolutely terrible idea, for so many reasons. Female children really don't need to be taught to have more feminine portions sizes at a time when they are growing and developing.

EhricJinglingHisBallsOnHigh Sat 03-Jan-15 15:04:10

How will your meals be personalised and tailored to children?
Do you mean that boys are more likely to eat meals with cars on the packaging and girls princesses? That's really shonky logic.

Sirzy Sat 03-Jan-15 15:04:44

The difference is only in calorie needs really just as with adults. Doesn't justify a different meal or mean it's an issue to worry about

meditrina Sat 03-Jan-15 15:09:31

There is, according to the NHS, a very small difference in calorie intake for the typical boy compared to the typical girl, but nothing listed about different nutritional requirements. Portion/calorie control does not require specific products, let alone gendered ones.

I found on a USA site a reference to micronutrients, only 4 of which had different sex-based RDAs. But the amounts are so small (and dangerous overconsumption so unlikely) that I can see not justification for gendered products for this reason either.

If you are looking at high performers in sport (including dance), where gender might be relevant (though possibly coming second to discipline and level) there may be optimum nutrition regimes, but these will be worked out individually and probably don't feature many ready meals.

RubberDuck Sat 03-Jan-15 15:11:41

Average calorie requirements at age 1-3 assuming average girl or boy is 65 calories per day. Assume ready meal is for a 3rd of a child's dietry needs for the day, that's 22 calories. What are you going to do - leave out a slice of carrot in the girl's portion?!

Utterly ridiculous.

RubberDuck Sat 03-Jan-15 15:12:56

(Average calorie difference in requirements that should read)

mimi0608 Sat 03-Jan-15 15:34:30

I am not looking to cater for such a young children! If you check the differences as they get older, you realize that already between the ages of 4-6 its almost 2000 calories and as they get older it increases greatly.

I don't think kids at the age of 1-3 should be eating premade food.

Between the ages of 11-16, the appropriate nutritional intake changes extremely between girls and boys-http://www.eufic.org/article/en/expid/basics-child-adolescent-nutrition/

These meals are supposed to replace the meals such as burgers and pizzas, because they will be healthier alternative to them for the times when mums or dads dont have time to cook.

mimi0608 Sat 03-Jan-15 15:40:34

meant to say-between the ages of 4-6 the difference is already almost 200 callories

Micah Sat 03-Jan-15 15:46:46

Your first link says nothing about gendered nutrition except boys need slightly more calories. And it's a generic article, where is your referenced, peer reviewed data? Just because someone wrote about it on the internet doesn't make it true.

I would actually be interested in healthy ready meals for my dc. My eldest is an athlete and trains 3 hours after school. She goes straight after school, and it's late when she gets in so no time to cook. Something I could nuke in minutes would help.

Btw at part of her athletic development she sees a professional sports nutritionist. At no point did he mention I had to feed her differently because she's a girl.

I would no way, no how, not ever buy gendered food. Your science is wrong.

TickledOnion Sat 03-Jan-15 15:46:58

Yes but it's 200 calories over a day. So roughly 70 per meal. That's not a huge difference.
And I'd be far more worried that this would promote the idea that girls should be dieting at a young age.
I think healthy ready meals for older kids/teengagers isn't a bad idea in itself, but please don't make it a gender thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now