Talk

Advanced search

HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT GENDERED STEREOTYPES?

(21 Posts)
emma2379 Mon 29-Dec-14 12:12:27

Im currently a final year student at Nottingham Trent University and am conducting primary research into gender stereotypes for my dissertation on the subject of gender equality.

I would love to here your views and opinions on the subject and invite you to take part in my short, anonymous questionnaire by clicking on the link below.

I would be extremely grateful for any responses, it only takes a few minutes, thank you!

https://emmaswingewood.typeform.com/to/fDAtz9

JeanneDeMontbaston Mon 29-Dec-14 18:22:46

Sorry, but this is a bit cheeky - you really need to pay IIRC, and I can't see how it could be acceptable as research to do this?

Boomtownsurprise Mon 29-Dec-14 18:29:45

Well that's fucking lazy. Could've least read how to post a questionnaire or posted a decent question.

#disappointed

JeanneDeMontbaston Mon 29-Dec-14 18:33:33

I don't know that it's that lazy - she probably just doesn't realize it's dodgy. But it really is!

Glancing at the questions, I'd also say I'd opt out of answering as their logic seems circular to me.

Floundering Mon 29-Dec-14 18:35:24

Well i've done it Emma grin

FloraFox Mon 29-Dec-14 19:26:59

I got to the end and it said "8 answer/s need completing". Need completing?

I didn't finish it because I found the questions weird.

nooka Mon 29-Dec-14 19:40:23

I think you have to agree with gender stereotyping to complete that survey. As I object to it I'm hardly going to tick a list of 'male' or 'female' characteristics am I?

MissHJ Mon 29-Dec-14 19:43:12

I did it for you, but you may need to review your questions with your research leader. Some of them I found quite leading.

TheOfficialPan Mon 29-Dec-14 20:48:19

I got a bit into it, but realised it was pretty faulty, tbh. Your questions seem to be couched in a stereo-typical fashion, and a bit laboured. I found myself answering 'other' too much, for your needs I suspect.
Can I suggest you re-think stuff around more interesting stuff? Not sure what the 'new research' or evidence you are wanting to illuminate.

TheOfficialPan Mon 29-Dec-14 21:04:24

and to be a bit pedantic...it isn't so much about how you 'feel' about gendered stereo-types, it seems to be about one's experience of them, insofar as I got into the questionnaire.

JeanneDeMontbaston Mon 29-Dec-14 21:10:56

Stereotype - all one word, no hyphen needed.

TheOfficialPan Mon 29-Dec-14 21:17:12

well, it depends on your approach Jeanne, both work - I wouldn't pick someone up on the usage IF it was irrelevant to the purpose. Others would.

peachgirl Mon 29-Dec-14 21:27:04

Well I've done it. Agree that a lot of it is about your experiences of gender stereotypes.

JeanneDeMontbaston Mon 29-Dec-14 21:28:12

Oh, shit, sorry! I didn't realize that was you, not the OP's test. I apologize.

TheOfficialPan Mon 29-Dec-14 21:28:35

I've finished it emma albeit from a male pov, if that makes a difference?

TheOfficialPan Mon 29-Dec-14 21:30:59

no worries Jeanne

Passmethecrisps Mon 29-Dec-14 21:35:03

I had a wee look and got as far as question 8 and stopped as I am not sure what this adds.

It is an undergrad dissertation - I wondering if you need to better consider your ethics and survey strategy if you wish to go wide with the research?

BertieBotts Mon 29-Dec-14 21:37:12

Do universities not do modules on research methods any more? I didn't even complete my first year and I didn't complete the questionnaire as found it too frustrating.

BertieBotts Mon 29-Dec-14 21:39:29

(Hopefully) constructive feedback, though: Take a look at some of the threads in the Feminism section on here, Emma. You'll find several eye opening viewpoints there. (I believe forum data may even be usable for qualitative research...)

JeanneDeMontbaston Mon 29-Dec-14 21:39:35

Yes, bertie, it looks almost as if it's not university work.

Passmethecrisps Mon 29-Dec-14 21:49:40

As an undergrad i did nothing very substantial on research methods. It was as a post grad that I was taught that properly.

I have now completed the survey in the hope that it will help.

If all this is above board then I hope op comes back to tell us how she/he has got on

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now