Talk

Advanced search

Men in childcare settings

(11 Posts)
shell86f Sat 20-Dec-14 17:19:15

As a university student I am doing research on the low levels of men in the childcare sector despite government campaigns to encourage them into the workforce.
As society plays a large role in the countries policy making it is important that I include the views of parents in this research, all information gained will be confidential and some key recurring themes will be discussed in the main findings.
As a parent what is your view of men in childcare?
thank you for your participation

honeyistoosweet Sat 20-Dec-14 17:23:32

I am a single mum with a 2 year old DS. He goes to a nursery where they sometimes have a male bank worker in his room when they are short staffed. My son adores him and I am always pleased to see a male role model for him.

TiggyD Sat 20-Dec-14 17:24:20

There have been quite a few thread about this in the past. The search facility will be your friend.

Also try here for the 2003 report "Changing the Gender Mix in Early Education and Childcare".

TiggyD Sat 20-Dec-14 17:45:46

Now this has been moved to a Mumsnet backwater the search button seems even more important.

SoMuchForSubtlety Sun 21-Dec-14 20:20:26

Statistically, child molesters are far more likely to be men. Yes I know not all men are like that. But I feel more comfortable with female childcare workers.

StetsonsAreCool Sun 21-Dec-14 20:30:05

I would have loved there to be more male role models in DD's nursery. I think it's really important to get all sorts of different inputs and experiences, including those from male carers. The dynamic is just different.

It also helps to break down the divide in what are 'boy jobs' and what are 'girl jobs' ( despite having a female GP, DD believed that only men are doctors, as an example).

Primary schools is another area that could do with more men in jobs. DD is now in reception, and there is a male TA in the other class - he is one of her favourite teachers, along with the two male PE teachers who come in from an external coaching academy. I think she sees women as the serious-but-caring disciplinarians (as in they help you when you're crying, but you damn well listen when they tell you) and the men as the fun but firm types. It doesn't matter to me, as long as she has positive relationships with both men and women.

shell86f Mon 22-Dec-14 12:42:15

when reflecting on abuse cases not all purputrators are male for instance Vanessa George who used her position to photograph children and distribute them. Ian huntley abducted, abused and killed jessica and holly but his girlfriend was also involved in the case and imprisoned for her participation. in my experience the children need a male influence as they play and engage with the world differently to women. most research shows that children value men as they can talk to them about issues that women would find difficult to answer.
what influences your opinion for example media, own experience, values and beliefs

SoMuchForSubtlety Mon 22-Dec-14 20:15:21

Children get a male influence from their fathers. If more men were the primary caregiver at home then the problem you describe would solve itself.

addictedtosugar Mon 22-Dec-14 20:28:13

The tip the balance factor when looking for childcare for DS1 was the nursery who had 2 male staff. In all other aspects they were equal, and we went for the one with the male staff. Everyone loves them (tho one has resigned to be a SAHD) - boys and girls.

They care in a different way - and will be more likely to be playing football than the ladies, but it is now way inferior.

It was less of a factor when applying for primary school (but then we didn't really have a choice there - we weren't going to get our closest 2 schools, and so were left with the remaining catchment school), but I'm pleased there are 2 male members of staff (out of loads).

I also think that it is so untypical, they must really want to so it, and so generally are very determined to do well - a male into childcare isn't typically something you fall into.

Lymmmummy Mon 22-Dec-14 20:42:46

My childs nursery has a male member of staff - I thought it very positive especially for the boys - I don't mean to be sexist but too many nurseries have young female staff and I think children need to be cared for in a setting that reflects the wider world - ie including older people and men -

TiggyD Tue 23-Dec-14 12:09:48

Dear OP.

Try re-registering and starting a thread on _chat that goes something like:

"I visited a nursery thinking about installing my DCs and saw a man there. He's a full time member of staff. I never really thought about men being in nurseries before. Is it legal? Is it safe? Is it hygienic? Is it a big bonus? What do you think everybody? Please state your opinions one by one while I write them all down."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now