Talk

Advanced search

Books for children with reading difficulties

(9 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

JessicaCaribou Fri 12-Dec-14 12:28:16

Hello,

We are a university student group studying publishing, and we are looking to launch a new list of books especially for children that are suffering with reading difficulties (dyslexia, autism etc...) or general reluctance to read. Similar to the Barrington Stoke books if you are familiar with them.

We have six series, Short Stories, Picture Books, General Fiction and General Fiction 11+, and also a series especially for children with autism, and a series of multisensory books.

We are wondering if parents of dyslexic children (or other) can give us some insight into what books you would like to see, or reading patterns and themes that your child enjoys.
What story themes does your child enjoy?
What problems in particular do they suffer from (in relation to reading)?
What designs are most appealing to kids?
If they don't normally like reading, what books have they enjoyed and why?
Where do you buy your books?

Just a general discussion of your ideas would be amazing, and really appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time!

Erin & Emma

nonicknameseemsavailable Sun 14-Dec-14 23:31:02

my daughter is a very good reader but she has vision problems and visual processing problems so for her the actual style of the font/spacing/layout/size of font/colour of paper etc is all extremely important. She wants to read the same books as most other advanced 7 year old girls. magical, not scary, generally involving animals etc. Unfortunately for her a lot of books she really is more than capable of actually reading aren't really accessible because of the way they are published.

MincePionaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 17-Dec-14 20:33:32

Evening all. Just wanted to let you know we're going to move this thread to NFP (not for profit) surveys in a moment. Thanks!

lemisscared Wed 17-Dec-14 20:44:07

I would like something that make the children's classics accessible to my dd. She is 9 and dyslexic. We haven't really been able to find much in the barrington stokes range for her. The subject matter appears a bit too old.

She loves the classics like e nesbit etc being read to her but would find these inaccessible in general format.

She also likes non-fiction, specifically about animals . short paragraphs and pictures.

JessicaCaribou Thu 18-Dec-14 18:33:57

Hi everyone! Thanks for your replies so far.

MincePieonaMumsnet, thanks for moving us to a better suited forum, bare with us, we are newbies! _

Yes, I think our main focus of our lists is getting the formatting on the book spot on: shorter chapters, good font/typeface, better spacing and thicker paper so words don't show through the other side.

Children's classics in a new format is interesting! There will be issues there regarding copyright but is a good idea.

We are aiming a little younger than Barrington Stokes ranges, so that is good to know. We are also putting a lot of focus on short stories and picture books for really early readers, where as Barrington seem to only have 4 picture books in total.

Regarding digital, do your children use anything, or do you have iPads you allow them to use for games etc.? We would not make books in an eBook format as we would lose the typeface and all those important formatting choices, but as an app it could work, maybe as a reading assistant, or games. Would that be of interest to anyone? Or are they still a bit too young?

Thank you again for all your replies smile

nonicknameseemsavailable Thu 18-Dec-14 20:50:40

we don't use any electronic reading stuff with our children, I think traditional paper books are PART of reading, I can't get my head around kindles and so on personally.

I agree with the classics suggestion. so many of the older books are in very small print and really quite inaccessible. DD wants to read Gobbolino but she can't see the print in it.

Or could you work with some authors like Holly Webb or Rhonda Armitage to produce books that would appeal.

lemisscared Thu 18-Dec-14 21:58:22

My dd reads better on a screen than paper. Although She has a kindle she prefers to read actual books despite this. I now prefer my kindle.

JessicaCaribou Sat 27-Dec-14 13:21:48

Sorry the delayed reply, it has been a busy week as I'm sure you all know smile Hope you all had a great Christmas!

That is interesting lemisscared, how come she readers better on a screen? But nice that she prefers physical books too.

Would you like these books to be available in bookstores, libraries, and so on, or do you find ordering online is easier?

AuntieStella Wed 31-Dec-14 10:25:44

2 of my three DC have SpLD akin to dyslexia.

The books they both loved were the Percy Jackson series. I think the key element is a plot (which can be complex) but which is driven forward in simply constructed sentences. They are OK with vocabulary and imagery, but not long or elaborately constructed sentences.

And they read more from their kindles than they do from actual books. Not sure why.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now