Talk

Advanced search

Have you flown with an Infant?

(14 Posts)
LHGibson Tue 09-Dec-14 19:49:24

Hi,

Please let me introduce myself, my name is Lauren a final year student at Loughborough University studying Industrial Design and Technology, currently working on my final year project.

The purpose of this project is to design a product that will assist in improving the experience of people travelling with young infants under the age of 12 months; with the aim to reduce the stress for parents, other passengers and improving the comfort for infants.

To help me determine the needs of parents travelling with young children I need your help. I was wondering if it would be possible if you could possibly fill in the following survey;

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/travelling_with_infants

Many thanks

Lauren Gibson

AuntieStella Wed 10-Dec-14 07:51:15

I abandoned this part way through.

There was no way to explain that my DC, when infants, were not good sleepers and so there was no particular difference when travelling.

Also the air cot question didn't seem to allow for the reality that they are usually unavailable.

abear Wed 10-Dec-14 08:09:38

Done, although my children are now bigger so my views are not the most current.

Littleturkish Wed 10-Dec-14 08:12:58

I think it would be useful to have an image of what the air cot looks like- although I've travelled several times with babies and toddlers, I've never seen one.

purplemurple1 Wed 10-Dec-14 08:20:54

I filled it in but having travelled with ds at 6 weeks, 6 months and 11 months his needs and my wants each time we're very different.

Done, but you should change your OP to specify that you are only interested in long haul flights - I have flown a lot short haul with kids, and there were no appropriate options to select on the survey, as there are no bassinets but safety is a worry with the lap belt on parent's knee for take off and landing/ turbulence.

katandkits Wed 10-Dec-14 08:23:32

Ive done it but cant really imagine what sort of product would be working. A newborn might possibly go down in a sky cot thing for a while but kids don't get a seat till age 2. One year olds are harder to travel with than babies!

grassroots Wed 10-Dec-14 08:27:36

I couldn't get past the first page because there was no way past Q3. I don't think a bassinet either promotes, limits or prohibits contact - it is just a useful extra.

I think Lauren is after survey results that will suggest bassinets limit interaction between parent and baby, because she has an idea for one that is slightly different and will allow more eye contact (and from the questions I assume she also hopes a problem with feeding babies on planes will emerge, as perhaps hers has an adjustable recline to allow sitting up for feeding solids and interaction, and lying flat for sleep. ..). The survey is designed to highlight problems Lauren is already assuming exist, and which she has an idea of how to solve. A little bit "cart before horse" but it's only a student project ;)

MrsMarigold Wed 10-Dec-14 08:50:37

I've done a few long haul flights and think a sort of car seat contraption attached to the wall, maybe tip down would be far safer than a bassinet. Not sure how this would be fitted but if specifically designed to hook on securely this would be much better.

bitofanoddone Wed 10-Dec-14 09:09:53

Not really thought out. The important issue with a bassinet is making it turbulance proof. Getting them out, because the light comes on, just after you've got them to sleep after 4 hours, is a real bugger.

bitofanoddone Wed 10-Dec-14 09:10:36

BA do a car seat sort of chair. That was fantastic.

cogitosum Wed 10-Dec-14 11:25:05

When my ds was 6 weeks he wouldn't sleep in a cot but slept beautifully on me so slept really well flying! Now he's a toddler I would prefer a cot type thing.

LHGibson Wed 10-Dec-14 19:49:09

Hello All,

Thank you for all your responses.

As I have personally never flown with an infant I wasn't aware that it wasn't always possible to get a bassinet so thank you for highlighting that for me.

Weight and size restrictions for bassinets are due to the weight that the bulkhead (the partition wall the bassinet attaches to) can take, but the size restrictions of current bassinets is obviously a key issue and I will look into it.

MrTumblesBavarianFanbase Haha it was quite a specific survey. This is only a student project but I based these questions on feedback from cabin crew and interviews I have undertaken with mums; this survey was a quick way for me to see if these where issues that others have suffered with or was just singular to them.

I really appreciate all your feedback and it has really helped focus my project in some areas... and broadened it in others!!

Hope you all have a lovely Christmas!

Lauren

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now