Talk

Advanced search

Social Sciences for 14 - 16 year olds

(3 Posts)
Caroline590 Thu 27-Nov-14 10:18:13

Hi All,

Your views on the following would be very much appreciated.

Social Sciences (psychology, sociology) are extremely popular subject choices at A Level and Degree Level, however are rarely offered at GCSE Level in mainstream schools.
We are considering offering an online facility to enable children aged 14-16 to complete a social science GCSE in one year.
We would be aiming this opportunity at: gifted children who would benefit from an additional GCSE not available in their school, children who are considering social sciences at A Level and would like to make sure it's for them and get a head start, and children who are currently being home schooled.
What we are considering offering: a one hour weekly 1-2-1 lesson via Skype delivered by dynamic and well qualified lecturers, ALL resources and course materials, assessments marked within 48 hours, monthly progress report to parents, online support and advice, and entrance to the exam at a centre local to the child.

Do you think that this is something that would interest you and benefit your child?

All views gratefully received.
Thanks

uilen Thu 27-Nov-14 10:30:41

Social sciences are not considered facilitating: they do not facilitate A levels and they are not on the facilitating list for universities. I wouldn't encourage my children to take them at A level, as I think it unnecessarily closes off options.

I would not be in favour of my children spending their time studying these subjects at GCSE, perhaps at the expense of their other subjects. Even for a "gifted" child, it is better to get the highest grades possible in their main school subjects rather than take another subject, and perhaps drop grades.

lljkk Thu 27-Nov-14 21:43:44

Wow, that's harsh.
I work in quantitative SS & I think I might be very employable so I am more open-minded.
Distance learning sounds pants for kids, though, most wouldn't be self-disciplined enough, and the HE families I know just don't do distance learning. Sorry.
And I'm going to report you in case you should have paid for your market research (double sorry).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now