Talk

Advanced search

New Upcoming Business - 'Curriculum Catalogue'

(16 Posts)
sa404 Fri 21-Nov-14 22:09:59

A new social business idea is an online program that customises a curriculum to the needs of the individual child. Does anyone think this will work?

ConcreteElephant Fri 21-Nov-14 22:52:05

Is this related to your other thread about children dropping out of primary school? Is the new social business idea your idea?

sa404 Fri 21-Nov-14 23:06:39

We're University students doing a 24 hour business challenge to solve an issue that we have been sent from the UN. Any input whatsoever would be hugely appreciated smile

QueenTilly Fri 21-Nov-14 23:09:51

We're University students doing a 24 hour business challenge to solve an issue that we have been sent from the UN.

Issue being what? Children dropping out of education before 11?

BlackeyedSusan Fri 21-Nov-14 23:12:43

there used to be one of these installed in every classroom, sometime before national strategies took a strangle hold on teaching...

ah yes I remember now, was called a teacher...

sa404 Fri 21-Nov-14 23:13:54

Exactly that. Were focusing on the UN Millennium Development Goal of having all children in primary education. The figures are still drastic and so were working towards a solution of getting more children into primary school and keeping those already there, there. If you have any insight, it would be incredibly useful, thanks

I can't quite see how it would work - surely the curriculum stays the same, but the way teachers/pupils approach it differs? What exactly would the program provide? Lesson plans ? Resources? You'd need loads of different approaches to each bit of the (huge) national curriculum in order to tailor it for individuals. Or have I misunderstood?

Maybe offering the service for a small part of the curriculum would work? History or citizenship if it's for the UN?

Ah, no, I have misunderstood. I thought it was a personalised learning / differentiation idea, but it's actually to do with attendance?

I'd have thought you'd need to target parents rather than pupils to meet that goal.

QueenTilly Fri 21-Nov-14 23:23:18

Um, you might be targeting the wrong places, then, sa404.

The figures are awful, I agree. But this is a forum predominated by residents in the UK, and the children who miss out of education are, in the main, not living here. That is not to say UK children all attend primary schools (I didn't) but it's rare. Many (perhaps even most?) of those who don't attend primary schools in the UK still receive a similar level of education.

Cabrinha Fri 21-Nov-14 23:26:04

Right, you've pissed me off with your other thread then. Totally unclear what you were asking and why. You're at university you say? hmm goodness.

bloodyteenagers Fri 21-Nov-14 23:48:34

So you are going to to put millions of lesson plans on line, to meet the individual needs of every child, to cover every single subject?
Who are you?
What is your experience?
What do you think teachers do? Sit around drinking tea and coffee?

PurplePidjin Fri 21-Nov-14 23:52:37

if you're university students with un funding you're quite clever, right? so how come you can't read the forum guidelines on research?

<reported>

I do like a good brew though bloodyteenagers

butterflymacqueen Sat 22-Nov-14 08:28:08

{sa404}
Please start by working on your grammar- spellings etc.

butterflymacqueen Sat 22-Nov-14 08:29:24

sa404
Please start by working on your grammar- spellings etc

marcopront Sat 22-Nov-14 08:36:41

As someone else said in the UK children being in education is not a major issues. In the countries where it is an issue reasons for children being out of education will include
1) parents not being able to afford it (either the school fees or not having the child working),
2) lack of belief in the benefits of education.

How would your idea help with these.
Most children living in a slum in India don't have access to the internet/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now