Talk

Advanced search

Protecting your child from the sun-during the school day

(11 Posts)
04dixons Thu 20-Nov-14 19:54:47

I am currently in my final year of an Industrial Design degree at the prestigious Northumbria University School of Design.

The subject matter of my major project relates to developing and researching the ways we protect children from the harmful rays of the sun. I am particularly interested how mums protect your children from the sun during a school day and the procedures the school has in place to protect children from the sun. I would love to know the products/methods you use? and the problems you/children have with them?

Feel free to comment below any help would be very much appreciated!

Starlightbright1 Thu 20-Nov-14 19:57:48

My son has sunscreen on during the day in summer and takes a sun hat. They are not allowed to take it with them or have anyone else apply it

Asleeponasunbeam Thu 20-Nov-14 19:57:58

Are you only interested in the views of mothers?

purpleroses Thu 20-Nov-14 20:01:57

We get told to send them to school with a bottle of sunscreen which they're supposed to apply themselves. DD would lose it in a matter of minutes, and DS would never bother putting it on. Fortunately neither of my children burn easily so I've never bothered. They're not out in the sun for that long really. There are some shady areas in the playground that they'll use if it's really hot.

FishWithABicycle Thu 20-Nov-14 20:10:05

Put on a long-lasting sunblock in the morning.
I know it won't last all day, but they are rarely outside for more than 20 mins at a time and too much sunblock can lead to vitamin D deficiency so best not to get too obsessed.

TalkinPeace Thu 20-Nov-14 20:24:06

Better that they get sunlight to protect them against myopia
and Vitamin D to protect against Rickets and skin diseases and seasonal depression

Stillwishihadabs Thu 20-Nov-14 20:27:15

Well said talkinpeace. Is this for the UK OP ? If so there are very few days where the sun is that strong.

Phoenixfrights Thu 20-Nov-14 20:28:46

Like Talkin we don't use sunscreen routinely for school. And for the same reasons. Only on holidays and if, say, they are playing in the paddling pool all day.

pyrrah Thu 20-Nov-14 23:32:37

DD is prescribed Vit D supplements (as should every child in the UK under government regulations) as it's almost impossible for any child in this country to get enough in the short amounts of time they are exposed to enough sunlight.

Vit D is so important for so many things - and potentially protects against MS (my mother has this) - so I'm not leaving it to chance that she has sufficient. She was severely deficient before she started the supplements and that was getting what I thought was a good amount of sunlight.

I am influenced both by my sister's children in Australia and the rules they follow, and having a family member who was diagnosed with malignant melanoma in her 20's and given a 30% chance of surviving 5 years. It's easy to ensure sufficient Vit D without putting my DD at risk. Just a couple of serious sunburns as a child massively increases your risk.

The school reminds children to put on hats and sunscreen (both sent in labelled and kept in a box in the classroom) before break-times and help the little ones with it. They also have shaded areas in all the playgrounds.

Product wise, I use Nivea for Kids waterproof F50 sunscreen in a spray bottle. DD has no issues using it and can put it on easily on her own. I put it on every day from late March till end of August.

Feenie Fri 21-Nov-14 07:10:02

You need to ask MN to do this, and there's a special section for it.

LisaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 21-Nov-14 12:11:30

Just to let everyone know we don't allow surveys such as this one on our talk boards so we've moved this to our Not For Profit Surveys page where it belongs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now