Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding questionnaire

(6 Posts)
SitalTailor Fri 14-Nov-14 17:53:26

Hello,

I’m an MSc student from Sheffield Hallam University researching factors which influence mothers’ decisions and feelings about breastfeeding and breastfeeding difficulties. It would be really helpful and appreciated if you could take the time to complete the questionnaire in the link below (it’s mainly multiple choice so it won’t take too much of your time). The information sheet at the beginning of the questionnaire provides further detail about the study. If you are over 18 years old and the biological mother of a child aged between 6 and 18 months old, then you are eligible to take part in this study. You can take part whether or not you breastfed your baby. Please click on the link here: https://shusls.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_8e4qwznTmuisUQZ

Please share and forward this on to others who you think would be suitable to take part. Thanks in advance for your time and for contributing towards research.

Sital

blackeyedsusie Sat 15-Nov-14 00:45:51

why only children who are currently 6-18m? What about parents who fed well past 18months? <nosy>

SitalTailor Mon 17-Nov-14 15:16:23

Hi blackeyedsusie,

Thanks for your message. The reason we have said 6-18 months is to avoid memory effects, as those who breastfed for the first few weeks would be looking back too far. Having said that, we are not excluding mothers who breastfed beyond 18 months.

Sital

TonightTonight Fri 21-Nov-14 19:08:26

It's not an issue of memory; it's the fact that it will throw off the results - for example one of the questions asked whether the majority of my friends and family think I should breastfeed. My friends and family fully support my feeding choices but I wouldn't say they think I should breastfeed - because DS is big enough to make his own dinner, so they are pretty indifferent these days! Similarly a lot of the health benefits are not as key as the years go by, whereas in the early months they are a much more prominent factor for most people. Do I sometimes find feeding makes me feel stressed? Well yes but in a sort of Groundhog Day way, because I've been doing it forever, not because of any problems. And so on.

SitalTailor Thu 27-Nov-14 11:35:44

Hi,

Yes there is definitely a point to make of the applicability of some of the questions in a person's current situation as you mentioned and this would then impact the results. And so for this reason, when introducing the breastfeeding statements in the questionnaire, individuals are instructed to answer the questions based on their recent experiences of breastfeeding (if they are currently not) as opposed to answering the questions based on their current situation. So the example you used about whether others would encourage breastfeeding, this would refer to a period of time when you were breastfeeding, and therefore, would require mothers to look back to this time.
Continued breastfeeding along with complementary food is recommended up to 2 years of age or beyond, so within our study, we would not exceed this.
Thank you for your feedback and for completing the questionnaire smile

SitalTailor Thu 27-Nov-14 11:36:31

if you did complete it that is...I assume you did smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now