Talk

Advanced search

Baby Bottle Redesign Research

(20 Posts)
nickbooth25 Sat 08-Nov-14 16:49:35

Hi all,

My name is Nick and I'm currently in my final year of Product Design at Loughborough University.

I am designing a new baby bottle to make formula feeding easier for mums like yourselves. At this early stage of the design, I am looking into different problems with current products and feeding methods in order to solve them with my product.

This is where I need help from the community of mums!

Could you describe any problematic situations or experiences with formula bottle feeding that you find when feeding your babies? Any other information or ideas are welcomed!

Thanks! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Pinkypurrrfect Thu 20-Nov-14 09:44:22

I just Dr brown bottles for my daughter and they were great at letting the air out but I couldnt store water or mix the milk in the bottles and water/milk would go everywhere. They were great but I would have to carry 3 tommy tippie bottles with water as well.

Lindsaym1983 Fri 21-Nov-14 12:42:41

We used tommee tippee bottles and the teat use to collapse in when son drank sometimes as he sucked so hard he is 2 months old. Love dr brown but I agree with above comment the milk spills out everywhere if you shake them

Smartleatherbag Fri 21-Nov-14 12:47:48

Hi, it would be great if you could incorporate the baby friendly recommendations within it somehow regarding eye contact between mother / caregiver and baby? They have information on bottle feeding (formula or ebm) on their website. It can really help with attachment and evidence suggests it's very beneficial to both baby and parent. See especially the recent leaflet 'build a happy baby'.

stargirl1701 Fri 21-Nov-14 12:53:42

Do only mums bottle feed, OP?

MsBug Fri 21-Nov-14 13:00:43

Not sure how helpful this will be but dd refused all kinds of bottles from about 3 months old which was annoying as I used to express milk so dp could do the bedtime feed. I don't know if changing the design of the bottles would have made any difference.

I can't comment much on the design of the bottles as only dp ever bottle fed her, if I was awake it was easier to bf.

MsBug Fri 21-Nov-14 13:02:13

Actually I've just seen your op says this is about formula feeding, so my comments might not be relevant as we used them for breast milk

StetsonsAreCool Fri 21-Nov-14 13:04:11

Sorry, I can't help you. Mums 'like myself' (to borrow your phrasing) breastfed, so I didn't use any bottles.

I know you're only just finishing Uni, but please don't try to be all pally and patronising with the people you're hoping will help you.

GothicRainbow Fri 21-Nov-14 13:27:24

I think you've had a couple of harsh replies that are unnecessary.

If you are exclusively breast feeding then of course this survey won't be relevant to you!

As a formula feeding mum we use Dr Brown bottles which have been great for reducing wind and colic symptoms but they do leak if shaken/not kept upright in the change bag.

Also all the parts are quite fiddly to clean and makes the bottle making process take abit longer - so that's definitely something to consider when designing.

MsBug Fri 21-Nov-14 13:41:15

You can be exclusively breastfeeding and still occasionally use bottles for expressed milk. That's what we did.

The design issues might be different though, eg you want to make them function like human nipples so the baby doesn't have to learn two different sucking techniques.

LisaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 21-Nov-14 16:59:21

Just to let you know that we don't allow surveys on our main talk boards so we're going to move this to our new NFP Surveys board.

StetsonsAreCool Fri 21-Nov-14 20:33:39

I was trying not to be harsh gothic grin

Just don't like the way a whole forum has been lumped together as one androgynous group of 'mums like yourself' to help out with someone's Uni project.

If however, the question had been phrased more along the lines of 'if you're a parent with experience of using bottles', I wouldn't have batted an eyelid.

I may just be having an off day.

nickbooth25 Sun 23-Nov-14 17:27:47

Thank you all for your replies.

Apologies if any offence was caused. To be honest this isn't just 'someone's uni project'. I am trying to solve some underlying problems that users (parents, carers, family members etc) may have and create a completely new system of formula feeding that goes beyond a cheap, plastic bottle; subsequently offering a new product to market for any potential future users. I asked the 'mum community' as they are the champion users - of course there are many other stakeholders and users involved.

nickbooth25 Sun 23-Nov-14 17:33:41

The main insight I am concentrating on is the usability of the whole system: disassembling, washing, sterilising, preparing, assembling and feeding.

- The process can take a long time
- It involves ALOT of water and water wastage
- It can be difficult in some situations e.g. on the go
- Feeding angles and flows can sometimes be problematic
- Too much equipment needed for such a simple task in theory, along with all the storage of this equipment

Does anyone have any insights or experiences to add along these lines? They would be greatly appreciated smile

stargirl1701 Sun 23-Nov-14 22:58:19

We like the NUK glass bottles and latex teats. Unlike plastic, the glass bottles can be used for subsequent children. The bottle has very few parts. Bottle, collar, teat and cap.

But, these bottles did not work for DD1. She needed anti-colic bottles. They are a PITA to clean and assemble.

ArchangelGallic Sun 23-Nov-14 23:07:41

We mostly used Avent bottles with multi flow teats. I don't recall any particular issues with them but they take up loads of room. Also used tommee tippee closer to nature but wasn't a fan. They seemed to warp quite quickly and the bottle and neck didn't form a good seal.

oh, just remembered that the numbers wore off the side of the Avent bottles eventually which was a pain measuring formula.

Tigercake Sun 23-Nov-14 23:14:52

So you are trying to solve some unspecified problems, that you don't yet know exist? confused And you are here to ask us to identify said problems, so you can then solve these hypothetical issues? This is bizarre.

Why don't you think of something that you actually know about and have experience of that is a real problem, and then solve that?

In relation to formula feeding the biggest issues I can think of are that powdered formula is not sterile. Solving that one would be excellent.

This reminds me of the 2 wheeled buggy person.

Tigercake Sun 23-Nov-14 23:20:51

- The process can take a long time
- It involves ALOT of water and water wastage
- It can be difficult in some situations e.g. on the go
- Feeding angles and flows can sometimes be problematic
- Too much equipment needed for such a simple task in theory, along with all the storage of this equipment

Did you realise that most of the above can be solved by not bottle feeding, and breastfeeding instead? Co-incidentally this is also the biological norm, better for the baby and across a population reduces mortality and morbidity. Perhaps the solution you are looking for is a breastfeeding support programme?* Mind you that wouldn't be terribly profitable... <cynical>

*I appreciate not all women wish to breastfeed or are able to, but for those who do the research shows most stop and switch to formula feeding before they actually want to.

Pico2 Sun 23-Nov-14 23:22:09

We used Avent bottles. They had 4 pieces, which seems quite a lot to me. We didn't find them particularly onerous to clean or sterilise and I don't think they took that much water to wash. It would have been good to be able to clean them in the dishwasher, even before sterilising, but we never worked out how y
To do this as they have shoulders and lips that make hand washing pretty essential.

We used cartons if formula, so a teat that screwed into the carton, bypassing the need for bottles would have been good. I think ready made formula now comes in screw cap bottles, so this would be even easier to arrange.

Smartleatherbag Mon 24-Nov-14 19:13:02

Totally agree Tigercake.
OP, you might want to read The Politics Of Breastfeeding by Gabrielle Palmer. Might open your eyes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now