Talk

Advanced search

Literacy in 8-11 year olds - survey

(3 Posts)
wrappedinplastic Tue 04-Nov-14 09:17:13

Hi all,
I'm currently working on a research project for my college assignment based on literacy levels in children aged 8-11.

I would be ever so grateful if you could participate. If you have more than one child aged 8-11, please do re-take the survey to accommodate for their answers.

The survey can be accessed here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/RMJV7CP

It should only take a couple of minutes to complete. I welcome all feedback and comments.

Many thanks for taking the time out!

Methren Tue 04-Nov-14 11:02:00

Done for you.

My feedback would be that your questions and answer options are too vague. No child reads for pleasure "Almost all the time" because they do other things (like go to school). What time frame are you asking us to answer over for options like "Frequently" - a day, a week?

I think you would get more meaningful responses if you were more specific and tried to quantify your response options - e.g. a question like "How much time in a typical day does your child spend reading for pleasure?" and then response options like "None", "Less than 15 minutes", "15-30 minutes", "30mins-1 hour", "More than an hour" (or whatever time intervals you are think are appropriate).

Sorry if I seem critical - just trying to be constructive (am a scientist so I do this sort of thing for a living smile).

mumwithanipad Tue 04-Nov-14 11:29:35

Done, I agree with Methrone about options being to vague.

I was unsure as to choose "frequently" or "almost all the time"
My dd reads for pleasure almost every day, which could fall into both categories depending on the person answering, so would think your data could be inaccurate. (I went with frequently)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now