Talk

Advanced search

MNHQ hasn't verified any of the posters on this topic. Please be cautious when sharing personal information.

Calling all parents with a child aged between 2 and 12...

(8 Posts)
IPSurveyUK Wed 23-Jul-14 13:32:43

Are you the parent of a child aged 2-12 years?

We want to hear from you!

Have your say by taking part in the International Parenting Survey-UK

The International Parenting Survey-UK has been designed to get input from parents just like you. By completing the survey, you will help organisations in your local community design support to meet your needs. The survey will ask you questions about your child’s behaviour, your confidence in responding to problems your child experiences, and how you manage your child’s behaviour. The survey will also ask you what support you want in your important role as a parent and how you would like to get this support. To complete the survey, click Survey

For more information, please contact Daniel Weisberg: daniel.weisberg@postgrad.manchester.ac.uk

More details about the survey can be found at the University of Manchester Information Page and at the Glasgow Caledonian University Information Page

Follow us on Twitter: @IPsurveyUK
Follow us on Facebook: IPSurveyUK

CalamityClara Wed 23-Jul-14 13:36:48

By completing the survey, you will help organisations in your local community design support to meet your needs

How? Please could you explain?

IPSurveyUK Wed 23-Jul-14 13:45:26

Hi CalamityClara,

Thanks for your question.

The results of the survey will provide a wealth of information about what individual parents want and need. If services for parents were to be run in a generic way, they are not going to be able to be specific enough for individual parents, so if parents from a range of backgrounds, cultures or races, or parents with children with different difficulties, respond to the survey, we will know what they want and why they want it. Consequently, the results can be shared with the local, national and international communities to help develop specific services.

This survey has been run in Canada, Hong Kong, Australia and Germany and results have influenced programmes for parents in those countries. We are hoping that this will be the case here in the UK.

Dan

BertieBotts Wed 23-Jul-14 14:20:23

If I can be honest, I am finding the second page worded in such a way that it's very obvious what kind of behaviour management the survey writer thinks is best. It's affecting the answers that I want to put, because I don't necessarily agree with this approach, but I don't want to come across as a terrible lax parent. I'm trying hard to be honest but some of the wording of the question is quite emotive. For example nagging and a long talk are not the same thing, especially depending on the age of the child. And "I give in and do a task myself if my child does not do as I ask" could be more neutral without the "give in".

IPSurveyUK Wed 23-Jul-14 14:38:09

Hi BertieBotts,

Thanks for your feedback.

You've picked up on an aspect of not just this survey, but most parenting surveys in general. Some questions can come across as very emotive, meaning that it is difficult to complete or it can affect the answers that you want to put. However, this and other surveys take this into account during the design phase. The questions are tested and statistically analysed to determine if there is too much emotive language or if the question gets answers that are realistic or put down because the person answering 'wants to look like a better parent'. There are other questions on this survey that balance out this emotive language too. So, whilst you pick up on an important point of completing the survey, the survey does actually take this into account.

Many thanks for completing it, and do let me know if you have any other questions.

Dan

IPSurveyUK Fri 08-Aug-14 11:52:02

We're still looking for parents to help with the survey. Have your say about being a parent here: International Parenting Survey

Thank you for your generous support

IPSurveyUK Thu 04-Sep-14 11:28:20

Over 800 parents have participated in the survey so far. Would you like to join them and have your say about life as a parent, the challenges that you face and the support you receive.

You can participate in the survey by clicking here

You can find out more information here: Glasgow Caledonian University Information Page

or here: University of Manchester Information Page

Many thanks for your generous support

IPSurveyUK Wed 18-Feb-15 13:24:51

Hi all,
The survey is still open. We've had over 1,100 parents respond to the survey and we could do with more. If you've got 20-30 minutes and would like to help us identify the best way to support parents, please do fill in the survey by clicking here. More information is available via the link.
Thank you

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: