Does surrogacy have to be a formal process or can you simply just get pregnant?

(7 Posts)
Nicki282 Tue 16-Aug-16 22:11:19

Not asking for any specific reason just wondering.

Does a surrogate have to go through a formal process or is it as easy as going to the doctors when pregnant and saying your carrying it for someone else?

SouthPole Fri 09-Sep-16 20:54:36

Yes, it is as simple as that.

There's a lot more to it, obviously!

2 time surro here.

AppleJac Fri 09-Sep-16 20:55:44

Following!

allthecarbs Fri 09-Sep-16 20:58:01

You take the pregnancy on as your own I think.

If using your own eggs that baby is legally yours until you sign to hand it over after birth.

Sorry for being nosey but is it something you are doing? I've always wanted to but dh hates the idea of it. It's an amazing gift.

caroldecker Fri 09-Sep-16 21:32:57

AFAIK, even if not your own eggs, the baby is legally yours (in the UK) and the surrogate mother can claim maintenance from the father.

SouthPole Mon 12-Sep-16 21:48:54

Both my surrogate babies were nothing to do with me genetically but my husband and I are their legal parents until the Parental Order is granted (6 weeks to 6 months after birth).

And THAT is why Wills of both surrogate and husband and the Intended Parents are so important...

Lumdeedums Sun 09-Oct-16 15:59:27

Also a two times surrogate and have been both TS (used my eggs) and GS (IVF. No relation) and although there is t masses of laws surrounding surrogacy it does have to be formal and done correctly.
Surrogates in the UK, TS or GS are the legal mothers and their husband or civil partner are the legal second parent. In order for the Intended Parwnts to get legal responsibility of their child and the surrogates rights extinguished, they get a Parental Order.
You need to have an agreement outlining intentions of all. This covers pretty much everything from testing to termination, loss to wat to do upon the birth.
Though not legally binding it's needed usually by cafcass who investigate to write a report for the court for the PO.
You also need life insurance for the surrogate for 2 years for £200,000 or so.
Def not something you should just 'wing'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now