Talk

Advanced search

Hamster sick

(11 Posts)
Ivykaty44 Tue 16-Jun-09 07:38:26

My dd's hamster is breathing really heavy and is on the cage floor all funny. He is only 6 months old.

Last night we cleaned his cage, he was just shuffling about but this morning he cant move at all sad

He has gone to the vet, my dd is in tears sad

Ivykaty44 Tue 16-Jun-09 08:13:51

vet says he is dehydrated and probably had stroke last night or heart attack sad he is going to put him to sleep sad

Doyouthinktheysaurus Tue 16-Jun-09 08:22:14

sad

Poor hammy.

Hope your dd's ok.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 16-Jun-09 20:36:25

aww so sorry to hear about your hammy

def sounds like a stroke, some have a mild one so survive (ours did, just walked a bit to the left after

you are doing the best thing for your dearly beloved pet xxwards)

Mutt Tue 16-Jun-09 20:39:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

herbietea Tue 16-Jun-09 20:47:24

Message withdrawn

susue Tue 16-Jun-09 20:55:28

Sorry to hear about your hamster, mine died two weeks ago from a second stroke. We nursed her, Molly, from the first one and she lived another three months. It is so sad when they go as they are part of the family and I'm devastated when they die. Hope your DD is ok, she made the right decision going to the vet and taking his advice. Sometimes the strokes are worse than others and no ammount of nursing helps.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 16-Jun-09 20:58:11

its silly how attached you we I become to a little furry warm body that is only a few inches long

they may only be little but they do bring great joy with their funny swinging

Ivykaty44 Wed 17-Jun-09 18:44:05

dd asked me "did I do something wrong to make him die?" I said she had been a great carer, as she always cleaned him out tec without being asked.

We only had him 5 months though, I think he was quite big when we got him. I thought they lived longer than this?

madlentileater Wed 17-Jun-09 19:27:29

I think they usually do- we have had some last at least 3 yrs.
After a reasonable period of mourning your dd might want another.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 18-Jun-09 09:49:08

maybe he was older than what you/pet shop thought, you said he was 6mths and had him for 5mths so that means he was a 4weeks old when you got him - normally pet shops wont let them be brought till at least 6weeks

a baby hammy is tiny, so i think your hammy must have been maybe 6/12+months as you said he was big

hammies generally live to 2/3, though we have lost a few younger and have also had an old man of 3+

i do find getting a new hammy helps the loss xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now