Talk

Advanced search

Rabbit or guinea pig?

(8 Posts)
MegBusset Sat 27-Sep-08 18:05:49

We are thinking of getting either a rabbit or a guinea pig but not sure which, just wondered if anyone would recommend one over the other?

We have an 18mo DS who is very gentle with animals and obviously will just be allowed to stroke under supervision, but we'd want an animal that is fairly happy to be handled.

They would be outside in a hutch and run (in the winter they could go in our shed).

Also, would we need to get two of whichever for company?

GordonTheGopher Sat 27-Sep-08 18:08:36

Guinea-pigs ROCK. They are much more interesting than rabbits and make cute squeaking noises. Yes they need to be in pairs ideally two females but two brothers are usually ok.

Does get one gp and one rabbit as apparently rabbits bully gps.

maidamess Sat 27-Sep-08 18:10:00

Rabbits can be a bit scrabbly...my dd (13) struggles a liitle with hers at times, and it gets picked up regularly. I wouldn't recommend them for a child as young as yours to 'pet'.

Not sure about guineas...

MegBusset Sat 27-Sep-08 18:13:39

How much handling do guineas need during the day? I want to make sure before we go ahead that we'll have enough time to spend with them.

GordonTheGopher Sat 27-Sep-08 18:14:58

Once a day for 10 min or so is plenty I think. Mine often went for a few days without coming out of their cage. Obviously the more they get handled the tamer they are.

MegBusset Sat 27-Sep-08 18:15:53

thanks - do they need cleaning out every day? (DH has offered to take responsibility for this bit!)

cornsilk Sat 27-Sep-08 18:19:43

defo not a rabbit for that age
my rabbit goes for small chn blush I think it's a dominance thing

northernrefugee39 Sun 28-Sep-08 09:44:32

What Gordon said. They are fab.
We clean ours out thoroughly about every 4 days, but they live in a very big kind of walk in run with several hutches- we have 7.
If they're in a smaller hutch, they will need fresh hay and stuff, they hate being damp.
And access to outdoor run every day is good if they're in a hutch.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now