Talk

Advanced search

WHere do we get guniea pigs from please?

(11 Posts)
JamesDelayneysTattoos Wed 13-Jun-18 21:36:18

Is there like a rescue place for pigs? I would need them to be friendly as I’m getting them for my 7 year daughter but my 11 year DD’s has a huge animal phobia and she has agreed to us having them outside so I don’t want to get it wrong.

DisplayPurposesOnly Thu 14-Jun-18 20:22:49

Yes, Guinea pigs can be frequently found in rescues (sadly). Just look on the Internet for animal rescues in your area to see if any deal with GPS. The RSPCA are the obvious place to start.

GPs can't be kept outside all year round so do you have a plan for the colder months if your daughter can't have them in the house?

wormery Thu 14-Jun-18 20:29:24

Piggies cannot survive outdoors all year, that's not safe or kind for them, they are sociable animals, like human company, like to live in pairs, sit with people, purr, squeak and run around on the carpet. You really need to ask the rescue centre if thet would be suitable pets as your dd cannot have them in the house and see what they suggest.

Icklepup Thu 14-Jun-18 20:31:45

You can keep them in a shed

Hawse Thu 14-Jun-18 20:37:10

We got our lovely piggies from: oxfordshireanimalsanctuary.org.uk/

I've heard great things about this rescue as well: www.facebook.com/Blackberry-Patch-Guinea-Pig-Rescue-and-Sanctuary-Chelmsford-Essex-147672991919455/?ref=ts

Blue Cross usually has them as well in many centres.

I would not buy piggies from Pets at Home and the like. Many guinea pigs in rescues needing homes and will come with a bonded mate, making it much easier.

IPityThePontipines Thu 14-Jun-18 20:38:54

Got our two from the RSPCA, they had been vet-checked, treated for mites and well handled. I would definitely recommend going looking on their website.

wormery Thu 14-Jun-18 20:43:27

Ours were found via The Guinea Pig Forum, sorry but can't get it to link, they can live in a converted shed, there is loads of advice and rescue info on their site.

JamesDelayneysTattoos Thu 14-Jun-18 20:52:53

Thanks all.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Thu 14-Jun-18 21:55:15

Mine are all Rescues
we had
two bpars, one glorious big bolshy boy and his slightly shy brother
a piglet boar
two feisty ex breeders
a very laid back neutered boar
two pet sows

all very different , all with a story to tell that'll tug your heartstrings

I would say though that check your DC aren't allergic, it is a flipping nightmare if there's fur or hay allergy (DD is very allergic to our GP6 but of course she still cuddles him and gets a rash)

Mine have a Pighouse (converted wooden playhouse) but come inside for winter, this year was harsh , my three were indoors night/day .
We give them the small bedroom with the radiator off, there's no door so they can whitter away to DD while she does homework and at me when I have a 3am pee Oh while you're up and about , just pop down to the fridge , there's a lamb wink

Dancergirl Fri 15-Jun-18 17:39:50

We got ours from Hazelcroft Rescue in St Albans.

millimat Sat 16-Jun-18 09:34:31

Where are you based?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: