Talk

Advanced search

Neutering rabbits question

(19 Posts)
Honeyroar Wed 30-May-18 23:49:47

I've got a 9 month old male that was neutered about six weeks ago. I'm hoping to get him a female pal. Our neighbour is selling a female, not neutered. I'd like to get her neutered too, just to be safe. Can anyone give me a rough idea of what it would cost and how long theyd need to be kept apart? They'd be in seperate cages/runs while they got used to each other anyway. We're building a large run and hope to put them in there together in a couple of weeks.

My other concern is neutering her during summer while there are flies around - would it be better waiting until winter?

FernieB Thu 31-May-18 12:00:23

Your vet should be able to quote over the phone. They tend to have a standard price list for neutering. It does vary from vet to vet. I'd neuter irrespective of season. Females are more prone to cancers if not neutered. The vet will also tell you about keeping them apart although if your male was neutered 9 weeks ago he should be okay now. Take bonding them at their pace, don't rush them.

FernieB Thu 31-May-18 12:01:26

6 weeks ago - sorry. Should still be okay to be together though

Honeyroar Thu 31-May-18 20:12:13

Thanks.

Passthecake30 Sat 02-Jun-18 20:33:29

When we had our females spayed we had to remove all sawdust and sand from the hutch in case it stuck to the stitches and it was autumn/early winter. Perhaps better to do it in the warmer weather?

Passthecake30 Sat 02-Jun-18 20:34:09

Ps I think it cost £100-£120 each

MrMeSeeks Sat 02-Jun-18 20:38:23

£80-100 by us.

MikeAlphaMikeAlpha Wed 06-Jun-18 20:48:26

If he's been done there's really no need, blue cross or rspca can't remember which can pair up your bunny with a mate, they get them used to each other before you agree to take the new bunny, just Incase it doesn't work out.

LadyDeadpool Wed 06-Jun-18 21:06:26

Vets4Pets quoted me £75 for spaying.

Honeyroar Thu 07-Jun-18 21:10:14

Thanks. New bunny arrived today. She's in a seperate cage with a run next to his for a couple of weeks while their new huge run is built.

Both my vets said £80 for a male and £110 for a female to be neutered. I want both done to be extra safe and for health reasons. I wondered whether to wait until autumn due to flies, but the receptionist said now is a good time as the ground is dry etc.

My vet is coming next week to see the dog (we're v lucky as he comes to our house) so we can have a proper chat then.

They are running around their cages and seem to be getting on!

WhoWants2Know Thu 07-Jun-18 21:14:55

Females do really benefit from spaying in terms of lifespan as well as temperament. Mine became a different rabbit, and so much easier to handle after the op.

Honeyroar Thu 07-Jun-18 22:11:13

How long does it take for them to be able to mix after the female has been spayed (from a point of view of her not being sore and able to bounce around again)? I figured it would be best to get her done while they're still in seperate cages. I'm assuming g they'll be in seperate cages/runs for two or three weeks while they get to know each other. Their runs are next to one another.

I'm all new to rabbits, I kind of fell into it, so am keen to learn.

DisplayPurposesOnly Sun 10-Jun-18 14:57:15

Female rabbits should always be neutered (unless there are medical reasons not to) because of the high incidence of womb cancer. Something like 80% of unneutered female rabbits get womb cancer shock

You need to wait for her to heal properly before you attempt to bond them - ask the vet. Even good bondings can be quite a vigorous and feisty experience! E.g. lots of chasing, fur pulling, humping. (Humping is normal for both sexes, it's how they assert dominance.)

I've not been brave enough to try bonding on my own. I'm about to try bonding a female with my existing mixed pair which is quite daunting! Luckily I know someone who is very experienced who will do it for me.

Be aware that it may not be possible to bond them (tho being a mixed pair stands a good chance).

Also you could bond them now and sort out her neutering later - depends how hormonal/receptive to him she is. Your male has already been neutered awhile so it should be safe (I think they say 6 weeks but do check).

Honeyroar Tue 12-Jun-18 22:14:27

Well, even though she's only been here six days, we've had a go at putting them together this afternoon! We've had their run cages touching all week and they've spent all week sniffing through the cages, and running up and down together. So tonight, way before we thought we would be, we put the two runs together, end to end, and opened the doors. There has been a fair amount of running around chasing each other, fur pulling and lots of humping (please let that neuter be good!), but they've also been grazing together and chilling together inbetween the running, and I can't see any blood, bare patches or bites. All seems fairly calm now, so we'll leave them be for now. There's a hitch at one end of the run and a cat carrier full of straw and hay at the other in case one needs to get away. The runs are about 10' long and 4-5' wide, between two enclosures, so they've room to get away from one another, hopefully.

The vet is coming tomorrow evening, so we will have a chat to him.

DisplayPurposesOnly Wed 13-Jun-18 12:59:39

Brilliant, it's gone very well then smile. Fingers crossed for mine.

Sounds like you have a lovely spacious set-up for them. If you haven't already, consider putting a litter tray out for them as it'll make cleaning the hutch & run much easier. A good sized deep sided tray, lined with newspaper, inch or so of a non-clumping litter, plus hay at one end for munching on. I change mine daily and wash out weekly.

Honeyroar Wed 13-Jun-18 19:48:44

Hi, fingers crossed for yours. Something happened overnight, when I went to bed the male was bossing the female around (not ridiculously!) but this morning he was running away from her if she went anywhere near him and he has a few tiny specks of blood on his back. I can't feel any bumps or actual bites, so I think it's probably from where she's pulled at his fur. They still seem to be OK together, he got braver when the dogs were in the garden (she's wary of them and he loves them, so the dogs changed the bunny dynamics a bit) and there's enough room in the run for them to keep their distance. They have been getting closer again. It will take time. They're not as nasty as hens are, inter grating them is really scary!

The vet just came and said ideally they should be seperate 8 weeks after they're neutered - we've had him nearly seven weeks and know he was neutered recently before we got him, so hoping we're covered!

The run is doing well. It's a hen eglu hut and run with a square rabbit run attached. It's temporary until my lovely husband can build a permanent run at the end of the garden. We hadnt planned on having a bunny, he came in a bit of a rush!

Thanks for the advice, it's gratefully received. We do have a litter tray, the male was already litter trained and the female seems to follow his lead.

Honeyroar Wed 13-Jun-18 20:39:16

I've just been outside. Apparently love is sharing a litter tray!

Passthecake30 Wed 13-Jun-18 21:07:50

Awwww that is cute smile. Glad that it's all working well!

DisplayPurposesOnly Thu 14-Jun-18 20:24:46

Nothing beats a munch n poo together wink

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: