Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone cut their own pigs' nails?

(23 Posts)
Toottootcar Tue 24-Apr-18 16:21:37

Or is it madness? I've been taking mine to the vets since we've had them, so about 18 months so far. However one has nails that seem to be growing very fast, and it's going to cost me a lot (as well as a hassle and stressful for the pig to be taken out) and I wondered about doing it myself. Anyone have tips on what to use and what to look for when I cut? Or if it's just a bad idea do say! Couldn't bear to hurt them.

Toottootcar Tue 24-Apr-18 16:24:32

(Have realised there's lots online about this, don't mean to be lazy - but mumsnetter advice is usually the best!

Bamaluz Tue 24-Apr-18 16:27:15

I do but find it's a two person job!
Have a look on youtube, for demonstrations of how to hold them still etc.

0h Tue 24-Apr-18 16:27:56

I'm new to pigs and have only tried once.

I've never been so stressed in my life.

I just told them an hour ago we're trying again tonight. Coz they understand me of course. 😆

Most of it was me yelling, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry," while snipping off the smallest amount possible.

I'm sticking around this thread for tips too!

OccasionalNachos Tue 24-Apr-18 16:29:12

Yeah it’s tricky to do yourself unless it’s a very calm pig and you’re skilled. One person to hold, one to clip. The clippers that look like curved scissors are the best.

Cut very tentatively if you’re not sure where the quick is.

ORIam Tue 24-Apr-18 16:32:38

No reason you can't do them yourself. Get yourself a pair of cat claw clippers, they're great for small nails. Something like these www.groomers-online.com/groomers-and-animal-professionals-c1/health-hygiene-c59/for-animals-c60/paw-and-nail-care-c257/groomers-small-claw-clipper-p455/s737?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=groomers-cat-claw-clipper-gcatc&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&gclid=CjwKCAjwq_vWBRACEiwAEReprFTwF527cEiDXiISwAtl0p2APXT6eC7VVhF3HgXtqzxYyA_GHLL-oBoCWD4QAvD_BwE It'll be easier if they're pink coloured claws as you can see the quick, also best to have someone hold them. If in doubt just take the very tips off.

Daisymay2 Tue 24-Apr-18 16:37:17

Buying decent clippers helped. I used to wrap mine in a towel gently as they were more still. Most nails were fine but the dew claw was difficult.
It's easier if they have transparent nails so you can see where the quick is. The worse was the pig who had black nails. He definitely had nails trimmed small amounts regularly.
Sometimes a treat went down well. They were more interested in eating than wriggling

Hatchee Tue 24-Apr-18 16:37:43

Credit to anybody who can do this; I've tried, and I can't. Our vet told us not to worry - we've got hardwood floors and a backyard concrete patio that she spends a lot of time on, so they seem to wear down naturally anyway. That's a relief, as trying to do it seems highly stressful for everybody involved.

Willow2017 Tue 24-Apr-18 17:35:07

I do ours with special clippers.
I wrap them in a towel and have one foot at a time😀 then distracted by treats after on my knee.

But they get them done at vets when they have thier check ups too so i escape it for a bit longer 😀 ours have long claws but the blood vessels go really far down so they only need minimal clipping.

I did catch a blood vessel once...basically bled like a stuck pig! Ds was frantic! Gp wasnt impressed either😉

FernieB Tue 24-Apr-18 18:15:43

Little and often is best with lots of parsley to distract them. Have some cornflour handy - if you nick them, dip the bleeding claw in it cos it helps stop the bleeding. And don't stress if you do nick them. They may squeal but are easily distracted with food and soon forget it. I've been clipping claws (rabbits and pigs) for about 12 years now and I still nick them occasionally.

Toottootcar Tue 24-Apr-18 18:26:21

Can they (gulp) bleed to death?
Great advice on here, I will report on my first attempt!

EastMidsGPs Tue 24-Apr-18 18:51:24

I am such a wuss we go visit Dr Chris
2 pigs, 8 claws £10. Jobs a good un

Sometimes if we go when it is quiet they throw a weigh in as well. Sadie is never pleased when this happens.

Bonus is they both get cuddles from the nurses and receptionist.

EastMidsGPs Tue 24-Apr-18 18:52:59

Dr Chris is our vet, not our GP!!

Willow2017 Tue 24-Apr-18 20:05:16

Toot
No never had one bleed to death yet😁
It looks a lot cos it doesnt stop right away but it really isnt.

Fernie thanks for the cornflour tip.

Toottootcar Tue 24-Apr-18 20:10:51

Tenner for one here!
Had a dramatic moment earlier where a neighbours cat appeared in our hallway. Fortunately I was on the stairs so between it and the pigs, and I was ready to defend them to the death smile
They are currently running around living room floor leaving trails of poo.

toffee1000 Tue 24-Apr-18 20:15:58

I do it myself. They don’t like it, of course.
The only time we had a bleeding incident wasn’t because I’d cut off too much, it had snapped off by itself. Cornflour is good, or you can get styptic powder which is similar.

user1492958275 Wed 25-Apr-18 21:29:18

If you snip too far just dip paw in flour, or sprinkle flour on and it stops the bleeding instantly.

You may as well do them yourself for the cost, you'll get more confident the more it's done.

Look for the red bit underneath the nail and don't cut further than that, if they have black nails you can use the torch on your phone which will shine up the quick.

Wrap in a blanket/towel and do one paw at a time. OH usually holds them whilst I snip. Only ever had one bleed from a fidgeting pig.

Treats for after and they forgive you fairly quickly grin

Willow2017 Wed 25-Apr-18 21:56:49

Do you suppose cornflour works on people too? I have ITP and might try it next time i have a small cut that bleeds like a river😁😁

mineofuselessinformation Wed 25-Apr-18 22:02:59

If they have white claws it's easy to see how far down to clip as you can see the blood vessel in the claw and avoid it. Black claws are more difficult so go with a little bit at a time.

flumpybear Wed 25-Apr-18 22:05:28

Guinea piggles? Yeah - one of ours albeit recent deceased not through nail trauma! Needed her nails trimming but the others not so much - just a little trim every now and then was ok
Yes they can bleed so just snip the ends off regularly

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 27-Apr-18 22:30:03

<<Disclaimer>>
I'm an NHS Podiatrist treating high risk patients , sometimes dementia patients .

My bloody cavies don't give a monkeys about my long standing caring experience. They glare at me, grab their paws away , bite at me when they get within toothy distance.

Yes , you need to use the correct clippers , not to crush their claws. I use ones that have a 'notch' in the blades so they close like a guillotene rather than sliding over each other ike scissors do.

There's a more pointed bit at the end which is opaque .
Our boar (and GP3 our previous boar) have really thick nails .
GP2 was jet back apart from one hair, his teeth and his fatty eye. He was a judgey little bugger who could practically retract his feet into his abdomen .

I have had one pig bleed . GP4. Quick cornflour dip and she was fine . Scares the bejeesus out of me , they bleed really well.
I'm told that vets will bleed a claw for a bloodtest rather than use a needle but she was not buying that.

At one point we had 5 guineas which is seventy claws grin

Toottootcar Mon 30-Apr-18 23:21:22

Well tonight was the night. Got the calmer pig, sat him sort of upright wrapped in a fleece and had dh feeding him parsley. Got onto the second paw before he reached up and sunk his teeth into me - unheard of for this pig to bite unless he thinks you're food! I think being both the holder and the cutter didn't work, but dh is too nervous to hold him still. I didn't try the back ones.
Might try the other pig with ds holding, or might just run back to the vets!
At least no cornflour required!

Isitwinteryet Tue 01-May-18 14:50:38

We've always done our own. One us holds and one of us cuts. Think it would be a bit expensive to take 8 to the vets for it!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: