Talk

Advanced search

Guinea pig veg?

(62 Posts)
zeebeedee Wed 11-Apr-18 21:21:09

So DH and DS3 went to P@H for some fish to add to the tank, and came home with 2 adopted Guinea Pigs (plus cage, food bedding etc etc)

They are lovely but shy girls, now called Bluebell and Snowdrop! - no pics cos they only come out to grab the spinach and scuttle back into their bed/hide!

I have had piggies before when I was a kid, but wanted to check what kind of veg we should be feeding them in addition to their nuggets? P@H said not grass? and I know they're not supposed to have bulbs - onions etc - and limit the root reg and fruit as it's too sugary, but is that it? They've had loads of spinach so far, and some parsley and red pepper. Can they have cucumber? celery?

Springersprung Wed 11-Apr-18 21:24:28

Our piggies loved broccoli. Confused about the no grass, as ours also grazed on the lawn when the weather was warm and dry.

MsAwesomeDragon Wed 11-Apr-18 21:29:19

Why would they say not grass? Mine send me out to get grass every day (they wheek, I know what they want and go out to cut some grass for them). Lots of gps have constant access to grass as they're in runs in the garden.

Veg. Mine love cabbage, and spring greens (we buy at least one bag specially for the Guinea pigs each week, I wouldn't know what to do with it as people food), mixed lettuce leaves (no iceberg as it's too watery), carrot (small amounts only), broccoli stems, peppers.
Mine don't like but I know they would be allowed: cucumber, celery (there was something about the stringy bits but can't remember as mine wouldn't eat it), courgette.

I'm sure someone else will be along soon to give some more ideas.

And I want pigtures as soon as you can get them!!!

Tryingoutanothername Wed 11-Apr-18 21:31:42

Ours had carrots and cucumber every day.
They loved kale and corn on the cob but would turn their noses up at broccoli

They went on the lawn every day that the weather allowed.

They lived for 5, 6 and 7 years. .

Arapaima Wed 11-Apr-18 21:32:24

Mine like celery, green beans, kale, spinach, lettuce, broccoli, cucumber. They like grass too. They will eat carrots but not keen on parsnips or courgettes.

claraschu Wed 11-Apr-18 21:32:54

Ours also loved carrot tops. Grass is wonderful for them...

StripeyMonkey1 Wed 11-Apr-18 21:34:13

Yes to spring greens, cabbage and lettuce but my guinea pigs all loved dandelion leaves the best.

StripeyMonkey1 Wed 11-Apr-18 21:34:33

And grass is good

Blowitout Wed 11-Apr-18 21:34:37

They also need lots of hay every day. I think the comment about grass was maybe to do with not taking cut grass from a lawn mower to give them? They love to eat it direct from the lawn on a dry day. Ours love kale as well as spinach, green beans, small amounts of apples (no pips), cucumber, strawberry tops. Little and often is the key because no matter how much you feed them they will act as though they are starving next time they see or hear you.

MsAwesomeDragon Wed 11-Apr-18 21:35:08

Dandelion leaves are a winner here too.

thisismadness77 Wed 11-Apr-18 21:37:34

Ours are sniffy about carrots. As long as you avoid potatoes, iceberg lettuce and I believe beetroot tops, (though I’m not convinced on that one) you can’t go far wrong. Ours prefer greens over anything else, esp broccoli and kale. They love grass and dandelion leaves! Ours eat better than us, the reduced veg section at Tesco (after 7pm ideally) is our friend. Their ultimate paradise is fresh herbs. Parsley, coriander, whatever is on offer. smile

Redtartanshoes Wed 11-Apr-18 21:38:25

Peppers cucumber celery and bags of mixed leaves here

AreWeDoingThisNow Wed 11-Apr-18 21:41:58

Years ago I was told not to let them pig out on grass all day because if they aren't used to it it upsets their tummies, so if they'd been indoors on hay over winter we'd reintroduce them to the lawn gradually, keeping an eye on poos. So an hour a day the first few days, then two, etc.

Hersetta427 Wed 11-Apr-18 21:49:10

Mine love broccoli and celery although they go mental for dandelions. As a treat and for lots of vitamin c they occasionally get segments of satsuma or the odd grape.

user1492958275 Wed 11-Apr-18 21:52:34

Carrots, celery, cucumber, greens, peppers, cabbage, broccoli, corn on the cob, lettuce (not iceberg) eggplant, kale, spinach, courgettes. We rotate these on a regular basis, plus melon, apples (no pips or seeds!) grapes and pear as treats.

Absolutely give them grass, as they get use to being in there run they can have more + more, it's recommended 10 minutes the first day, then 20, then 30 etc to build up their tummys to it as it can cause bloat. Grass is great for pigs keeps their teeth down and fills the bellies!

You'd probably find it easier to have a list of what not to feed a pig tbh.

Never met a pig that didn't like cucumber, none of mine will touch a banana though!

And since the season is coming - Dandelions and the surrounding leafs will be absolutely demolished! I take them from my friends / parents houses and parks! But we've got lots of pigs.

lljkk Wed 11-Apr-18 21:56:49

They MUST HAVE HAY EVERY DAY, or grass (because hay is just dried grass).

Rhubarb is a big no-no. Also all parts of potato & tomato plants that you wouldn't yourself eat.

Celery it's often recommended to cut up before feeding because the fibres can be so long & stringy (but I don't know if that's good advice).

Mine simply adored tomatoes, which are a fruit but I never worried about fruit. Ours just ate all our kitchen peelings, plus stuff like apple cores.

lljkk Wed 11-Apr-18 21:58:04

.. should limit the veg so they don't get fat, sorry I can't say how much to limit, but they can't get fat on hay.

Also, they must have a daily source of vitamin C (like you or me). Potatos & tomatoes good for this, again.

HelenUrth Wed 11-Apr-18 22:01:09

Dandelion leaves and grass.
Carrots, parsnips.
Some cucumber. Apparently broccoli & kale in small amounts as it can make them a bit gassy. Avoid potato.
Hay is supposed to be given in pretty much unlimited amounts as it's the best thing for their teeth. If their teeth start to give trouble it can get very expensive.
Sweet little animals - enjoy them!

TheClitterati Wed 11-Apr-18 22:04:26

I'm feeding mine fresh dandelions dug up from the lawn. They demolish them.

They love kale, celery, broccoli, cabbage, pak choi, parsley, grass, apple.

They don't like sweet peppers, grapes or green beans.

HSMMaCM Wed 11-Apr-18 22:06:54

Mine like broccoli stalks but not tops, so they share with the rabbits. They love grass and daisies. Hay is still their favourite though.

RafikiIsTheBest Wed 11-Apr-18 22:11:31

They cannot have grass that has been cut and left to sweat. So anything from a lawnmower or if you can cut grass and keep it for a while (or put it somewhere covered/in a bag/warm). If you cut a handful of grass and take it straight to the cage it and it's eaten straight away it's fine and was often my first step to getting the GPs back outside.

As you said, nothing high in sugar regularly. Feed pelleted food not the musili stuff. I'd avoid iceberg lettuce as it often causes upset stomachs and no onion type foods, think potatoes are a no go, otherwise most things are okay. Start small though as you don't know how much P@H has been given them or what.
Another here who bought spring greens weekly and have no idea what I'd do with them for human consumption! Also kale was a favourite, but any greens are typically okay once they slowly get used to them. When I was a kid mine mostly had peelings and left overs from what we had, so carrot peelings, big stem bit from broccoli, ends of cucumber and any leftover bits of salad (leaves, tomatoes etc) but again no onion. I'd give them little treats of fruit that I was eating and never had a problem but advice around fruit is hit and miss. As a teen with a job I bought them specific things.

When googling I found that the best advice was often listed when searching for cavy rather than guinea pig, and found lots about adequate cage size, best kept indoors etc. Might be worth a look, but I haven't kept any for a few years.

RafikiIsTheBest Wed 11-Apr-18 22:14:52

Oh and celery (at least when I had mine) was okay as long as cut widthwise into small pieces so that there were no long stringy bits as apparently this can be tough to break down and can cause problems (think long strong cheese wire/hair type situation in a sensitive delicate digestive tract... not pleasant). Not sure how much truth there is but I always took a minute to chop them up.

Brokenbiscuit Wed 11-Apr-18 22:15:54

My guinea pig (when I was a child) would have done almost anything for a bit of cucumber. It was definitely her favourite!

My friend's pig loved chicory, but ours didn't want to touch it.

I'm curious about the advice against potatoes. I distinctly remember our vet telling us to feed our pig mashed potato every day when she was elderly. Why aren't they supposed to have it?

Pinkprincess1978 Wed 11-Apr-18 22:19:13

Ours only really love green cabbage, celery, cucumber and carrots. I try them with other bits, broccoli, cauliflower, courgette, sprouts etc but they don't seem to like them. They do like and get in moderation peppers, tomatoes, peppers, apples and grapes.

fortifiedwithtea Wed 11-Apr-18 22:34:19

The 'No' List
Potato
Onion
Rhubarb
mowed grass cutting, they ferment
Buttercups and daisies
Officially biscuits that humans eat but in reality mine likes a tiny bit of plain Hobnob or Digestive.

The Yes List
Everything everyone has already said plus strawberries including the leafy tops
melon and the skin
banana mine prefers the skin small portion
blueberries
beetroot particularly the sort shredded in posh salad
baby corn as well as sweetcorn
parsley

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: