Advanced search

What do you put under the fleece?

(8 Posts)
DoinItForTheKids Mon 19-Feb-18 14:55:22

In your guinea pig's cages?

Do you put anything underneath??? If so, what do you find works (and preferably, doesn't stick to the fleece when you lift it)??

NotTheMrMenAgain Mon 19-Feb-18 18:06:35

In our piggies open-topped run ( bedroom!) I put a layer of black plastic bin bags (to protect the canvas flooring), then multiple layers of newspaper, then multiple layers of old, folded up towels, then fleece layer.

It works really well, is really absorbant for the wee. I just sweep the poo up a couple of times a day, if they're in all day. It needs changing regularly - depending on how much time they spend in there - but it's much less faffing about and more cosy / comfy than the alternatives I've tried.

Increases the laundry though.....

DoinItForTheKids Mon 19-Feb-18 18:26:07

Yeah, I like having the fleece because then they're happy lying in their little cosy hideys or out on the fleece in the open.

I want to be able to do spot poo picking day to day/sweeping up as required but then every couple of days remove the entire fleece and put in a new one.

We happen to be on shavings under the fleece at the moment which is GREAT - from the point of view of its sweet woody aroma and it's easy to see when you lift the fleece, where the wet patches are that need digging out, but shavings don't half stick to the fleece! Rookie error clearly cos it's a nightmare to deal with.

Thank you for the sharing what you do.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Mon 19-Feb-18 21:57:43

I really CBA with fleece , the only way I use it is in their winter night cages , a piece cut off a cheapo Primark or Ikea fleece and used once .
In the closed base cage I use wood pellets that are rodent safe (not the C&C too much potential for pellet escape ) they don't stick too much and you can spot clean.

Cardboard lining, a memory foam bathmat for spongeyness and puppy pads under a thick layer of newspaper.

I know using fleece for one night isn't good for landfill but my washing machine would clog up if I washed it.

So mine have the layered paper /card/puppypad and thick hay. I'm not wild about the smell of hay or the mess but it keeps my rodenty ones happy so result!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Mon 19-Feb-18 22:00:20

There was a Guinea-Pig Rescue I saw online where the guineas were in a sort of extension/garage , open doors for light /fresh air . All the cages along the walls , and ...........their own washing machine and drier for fleece and VetBed.
That;s the way to do it grin

DoinItForTheKids Tue 20-Feb-18 07:48:42

AH 70, that's utopia right there!!

I saw a piccy on the interweb a few weeks ago. It was a setup in a living room not much unlike my own. Sofa facing wall with wall mounted telly, in front of that a full width sideboard. They had given over the entire sideboard to guinea pig accommodations - it was fab!

TimeIhadaNameChange Tue 20-Feb-18 11:26:55

70 - why don't you get a horse bag? Something like this. It's great at saving the washing machine.

If I ever win the lottery I want separate rooms for the guineas and rabbits, with access to outside pens, and a corridor leading from their rooms to their own washing / storage room, complete with their own washing machine, tumble drier and, possibly, dishwasher (to sterilise the litter trays)!

DoinItForTheKids Tue 20-Feb-18 20:15:55

We can but dream!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now