Bunno is a rescue rescue, I got her at around 7 months old after she was attacked by her cage mates so not sure of the breed but she is a big rabbit, with lop ears.
She's had a tough run, and had a severe eye infection that lasted for months and months and nothing was working to solve it and she was so thin. Eventually we took her 300 miles way to a rabbit specialist vet who removed most of her teeth except the two bottom incisors(?). Lots of medicine and back and forth for duct flushing she eventually got better. That was until we discovered she had had a reaction to the injections we had been giving her (she is a very fluffy rabbit) and had actual holes in her skin. Another surgery later and that was resolved as well. I probably spent in excess of £3500 over this time.
She's now about 8 or 9 and the vet thinks she has e-conuculi (might not be right spelling)... She can now seems to only be able to drag her legs behind her and falls over often. She is on a 28 day dose of panacur. She can't seem to get to her back end to clean herself/eat those sticky poop things (I forget what they are called) so I have to keep cleaning her butt a few times a day.
On top of all these I seemed to have developed an allergy to her. I've always been slightly irritated by her but she's not a very affectionate rabbit so she keeps to herself and I keep to mine. Now she requires constant care I constantly have a rash and itchinesd and swollen eyes, sneezing, itchy throat etc. I'm worried this is clouding my judgement as well.
Is it time to euthanize when she can't hop properly or keep herself clean? She is still eating and drinking etc and does try to hop about the living room but mostly just ends up falling over. It's so sad to see her like this
How long has your bunny been on the e-caniculi medication? We have a bunny who seemed very poorly but did get better with Panacur and anti-inflammatory and anti-biotic. It took over a week for it to make any difference, and he is now in good health. We also had another rabbit who lost use of back legs and struggled to keep clean. We gave him medication for 28 days but then decided to euthanize him as he had not make any progress. If I was in your position I would probably call it a day if she doesn't show any signs of improvement after a couple of weeks on medication.
The vet said that she didn't expect to see any improvement, but it would stop it from getting progressively worse. When she started the panacur it was only intermittent and I thought manageable but each morning it seems worse
Do the full course of Panacur, I think it's 31 days that's needed now rather than 28 days. Constant changing in the bunny medical world. It takes that long for the full lifecycle of the parasite to be killed off. If she's still willing to eat and you can restrict her movement so she's not distressed in that respect, do the full course and make a judgement in a month.
I am off work unwell today (I had a severe headache and temperature) And when I went through to check on the bunny she was lying lifeless but still slightly breathing.
I know she is dying... is it better to just make her comfortable and warm in a quiet place or take her to the vet to be out to sleep? At this stage I'm not even sure she would make it to the vet and stressing her out putting her in her carry box etc seems cruel but so does leaving her. Please help