Talk

Advanced search

Is this a pet rabbit or wild? Seen in our front garden.

(13 Posts)
safariboot Tue 06-Feb-18 12:45:09

Saw this rabbit in our front garden last night and again today. It wasn't timid, I walked past it on the path and it didn't spook, just hopped away a bit. Looks happy enough nibbling the grass, doesn't seem to be in any distress.

In an inner city area, not the kind of place I'd expect to see wild rabbits.

BiscuitCrumbs44 Tue 06-Feb-18 12:58:35

I would say that was a pet.. wild rabbits are usually light brown/grey and very skittish.

Can you catch it and take it to a local vet for a microchip check?

suzy2b Tue 06-Feb-18 13:13:03

yes would say pet i live in the country and yes wild ones brownish colour

theconstantinoplegardener Tue 06-Feb-18 13:17:56

Looks like a pet to me too. Are you able to catch it and either look after it yourself for a few days while you ask around, or take it to a shelter? A trusting pet rabbit will be very vulnerable to dog attacks, cruelty, being run over, the cold....I doubt he will last the night if he's left.

bunnygeek Tue 06-Feb-18 13:21:02

Dumped pet, would try and catch it if it will let you. Looks too chunky to be a wild. You do get black wildies but they are quite slender, small and lean creatures that you definitely can't get near!

Tis the season for dumped rabbits post-Christmas.

Osquito Tue 06-Feb-18 13:23:54

We've got one in the alley behind our house! Black as well, quite small. I thought ours was an escapee that's really good at hiding from the local cats, DP thinks its owners 'let it out for a walk' hmm on its own...

RowenasDiadem Tue 06-Feb-18 13:27:04

In a built up area I would say pet. Ex-pet rabbits in our rural area have caused our wild rabbit population to breed a lot more non-brown varieties. They're usually hunted quicker but some make it to carry on the domestic colour lines.

MyKingdomForBrie Tue 06-Feb-18 13:27:05

Pick him up!! He needs checked for a chip. Poor little love. A wild rabbit would not just be sitting there in daylight unless it had mixy.

safariboot Tue 06-Feb-18 15:46:51

OK it's in the house now, in the hall with a bowl of water and a carrot.

I called the RSPCA and they said one of their local officers should call me back.

bunnygeek Tue 06-Feb-18 16:03:19

If you have any fresh herbs, like basil, mint or parsley, those are better for bun than carrots while you wait for RSPCA smile

safariboot Tue 06-Feb-18 18:05:11

RSPCA recommended I take it to a local vets in-store at a pet shop. They scanned it, no microchip found, and they've now taken it for rehoming.

I'll keep trying to locate the owner, but if they can't be found the rabbit's safely looked after now.

BettyBaggins Tue 06-Feb-18 18:15:39

Well done op!

BiscuitCrumbs44 Wed 07-Feb-18 10:08:35

Well done OP!

I don't think I would have had the discipline to not re-home it myself..! blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now