Talk

Advanced search

Guinea pig not eating after castration

(34 Posts)
SuburbanRhonda Sun 03-Dec-17 17:12:33

I rescued a one-year-old pig which I was told was aggressive towards other pigs and had to be kept alone. I thought if I had him castrated I could get a little sow friend for him in the spring.

He wasn’t himself after being castrated - started squeaking a lot in a way that seemed he was in pain. He stopped eating and was drinking very little. I took him back to the vet and it turns out one of his ex-testicles has an infection. His weight dropped from 1kg to 900g in a week. He’s been on Baytril since last Thursday and is back to the vet on Tuesday. But he’s still not really eating. He had a huge appetite before he was castrated.

Do I just need to be patient?

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 03-Dec-17 20:13:41

Poor piggie sad
Is he on any painkillers as well or did he have a painkiller injection? (My GP3 had Meloxicam after he was castrated )
Maybe your boar has been attacking his wound (some animals will insist on overgrooming )

I think you'll need to syringe feed him pretty full time if he's not eating , get some fibre and water into him (sloppy mash pellets if you don't have Critical Care type food) maybe grate carrot or tiny bit of apple.

Nice cuddly fleece bedding ( IIRC I used white/cream blankets and towels for Dill and hay in loo roll tubes so he didn't sleep on it) GP6 was pre-snipped 2 weeks before I got him .

Fingers crossed for him, c'mon SuburbanBoar get scoffing ....

SuburbanRhonda Sun 03-Dec-17 22:01:23

That’s brilliant advice, 70, thank you so much.

I need to ask the vet if he had any painkillers - he must have had, surely? And yet he’s now stopped squeaking completely so I’m hoping he’s not in pain any more. I’m going to phone the vet tomorrow to ask if she can see him early.

He seems in good shape apart from the eating. But I’ll get going with the pellets <boak>. He has very soft fresh hay but I’ll roll up an old t shirt too for his bedroom.

I’ll report back when he’s back on his feet again smile

SuburbanRhonda Wed 06-Dec-17 07:11:11

Back to the vet last night and he has a hard lump which the vet thinks is an abscess - he’s back in again this morning before work to have it lanced.

I got a bit of critical care down him last night and he also ate small bits of cucumber and parsley. Fingers crossed.

SuburbanRhonda Wed 06-Dec-17 07:14:12

He’s lost 20% of his body weight now though sad

EastMidsGPs Wed 06-Dec-17 19:52:41

Paws crossed for SB and 🍀🍀 parsley for strength

70isaLimitNotaTarget Wed 06-Dec-17 23:42:47

Aw poor love , he's probably right off his food with the abscess. Once its lanced and drained <eek> he should pick up.
The vet / vet nurse will get some Critical Care down him (they don't take any nonsense from stroppy little rodents -memories of painstakingly feeding sloppy food to ill little piggies who wore most of it down their chins/ were hungry but CBA eating/ engaging in a battle of wills with us "I'm ILL I tell you" ..... "Yes I know but you have to eat"

All this before work, straight after and through the night )

Good job we love these little animals eh?

SuburbanRhonda Thu 07-Dec-17 19:57:56

So I think he’s on the mend - the wound has to be left open so it doesn’t refill and hay means no hay or wood shavings in the cage. So he’s got fluffy towels instead and seems to like it! I managed to get a serious handful of salad leaves down him this leonine, plus metacam and ABs (but he hates me now). And then he squeaked for about five minutes non-stop and produced the biggest pile of poos I’ve ever seen!

SuburbanRhonda Thu 07-Dec-17 20:02:17

Not sure what the rogue “hay” is doing there!

I agree with you 70, we do love them but it’s makes me nervous when they’re so unwell.

But I think we’ve definitely turned the corner - thank you both for your kind thoughts x

FernieB Thu 07-Dec-17 20:07:12

Big pile of poos is good news! Means the system is working and food is going through. It's good that he's turned a corner. Keep on with tasty treats to keep him eating and the rest should take care of itself.

SuburbanRhonda Thu 07-Dec-17 20:29:54

Thank you fernie. He’s just tucking into some cucumber chunks before I inflict the dreaded meds on him again.

SuburbanRhonda Thu 07-Dec-17 20:32:37

Bruce says thanks for your good wishes, everyone smile

FernieB Thu 07-Dec-17 20:36:38

What a sweetheart he is! He looks gorgeous.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Thu 07-Dec-17 21:26:16

Oooooh that's a Judgey Look if ever I saw one grin

The big pile of pooh is your ' Brucie Bonus' , obvs !

SuburbanRhonda Fri 08-Dec-17 06:58:22

Brucies bonus

Brilliant!

EastMidsGPs Fri 08-Dec-17 08:06:08

Oh what a lovely looking boy. He reminds me of our long ago dear departed Betty.

You do know now he is feeling better (and relieved of his poos) he'll milk this for all its worth don't you ?? 😂😂

Have you a wife in mind for him?

SuburbanRhonda Fri 08-Dec-17 08:10:41

I haven’t found him a wife yet as I thought I’d wait until spring. I’ve heard there’s a place in Surrey where they can bond your pig with a female in their care. I don’t want to take the risk with an unknown female - did that before with previous pigs and they hated each other. I had to maintain separate households for five years grin

EastMidsGPs Fri 08-Dec-17 13:45:49

I know what you mean.
In September we pig dated Sadie when her friend Mollie died. The local rescue suggested a rather fine looking black boar called Roger.
Sadie behaved so badly on their date she had to be removed from Roger's presence.
We now have a baby sow running rings around her.
It's Sadie's own fault as I keep reminding her 😃

SuburbanRhonda Fri 08-Dec-17 16:03:34

She sounds a right shocker, East

grin

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 08-Dec-17 16:19:24

My sows GP7/GP8 (had them now since May 2016) refuse to bond with GP6. They didn't like GP4/GP5 but after they went Bridgewards , we tried with GP6 , still no..... (its GP8 who is non compliant <sigh> )

Bert has his own space and chatters to them , its sad but he's not safe with her .

SuburbanRhonda Fri 08-Dec-17 18:14:43

It’s strange how some of them are fine together but others are just plain antisocial!

SuburbanRhonda Mon 11-Dec-17 08:33:20

So his weight has now gone down to 700g from 1kg before the castration.

I’m giving him critical care and water by syringe. He’s hardly doing any poo and the ones he is doing are tiny and hard. Online research is suggesting gastric-intestinal stasis. Not even sure if it’s worth taking him back for his vet appointment tomorrow. He just needs to get his digestive system moving sad

FernieB Tue 12-Dec-17 13:07:18

How is he? Vets can give injections to stimulate the gut and get it moving.

SuburbanRhonda Tue 12-Dec-17 15:32:45

He has now definitely turned a corner. I took the afternoon off work yesterday and spent the rest of the day hand feeding him critical care and syringing lukewarm water into him. Back in his cage he started eating some fresh grass!

Back at the vet first thing this morning and he’s gained 400g smile.

Thanks for all your good wishes, fellow piggy owners flowers

SuburbanRhonda Tue 12-Dec-17 15:33:37

That’s worth knowing fernie

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now