Talk

Advanced search

what Bedding do you use for Guinea Pigs?

(15 Posts)
jobnockey Sun 19-Nov-17 14:31:29

Just wondering really, we’re soon to beGP owners and just working out their setup at the mo. Will probably have a 2x3 c and c cage and have been thinking about using fleece but wondering if this will involve a lot lore upkeep than other types. What do you use and how does it work out cost wise and upkeep wise?
Any recommendations?

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 19-Nov-17 18:07:39

A lot of owners use fleece or VetBed . It wicks the wee throw, you need something absorbant underneath. Don't use sawdust or woodshavings, not good for their breathng or feet and coats. Equine bedding (unscented) like Auboise or Megazorb are good and dust free.

Guinea-pigs are not tidy animals BTW. The hay smells more than they do and it gets everywhere!

Mine have cardboard, puppy pads, newspaper and hay.
In winter I put a thick later of those small animal safe wooden cat litter pellets under the puppy pads (roll up the puppy pads newspaper and hay and throw out). My guineas don't chew puppy pads but they do like cardboard at 3am grin

Indoors they have cardboard (especially important to have a good thick protective layer to protect their feet from the C&C floor grids) , a couple of batmats under their sleeping areas then as above (puppy pads/newspaper/hay)

I;ve used fleece but I don't want to risk my washing machine. You can brush the hay and hair off with a rubber brush then put in an old pillowcase to wash (tie with a hairband or string). I found the coarse thin fleece wicked better than plush fleece. Ikea and Primark are worth a look . Old towels too.

I give them looroll tube shreddings when I've got enough.

All the guineas I've had have liked sleeping on hay , our boar pulls the hay from his petbed onto the floor to sleep on (but he's an odd little animal).

If you're getting piglets you might find the C&C grids too big (they're 1" square approx) you can line the insides (I use cardboard boxes to come up the sides ) or overlap , but you'd need more grids.
Lardy adults - no problem. grin

We'll need pigtures when they arrive.

jobnockey Mon 20-Nov-17 11:58:38

Thanks so much for the help. Still not sure about fleece, it looks nice but don’t fancy even more washing than I already have tbh! When you mentioned about the c and c cages, we would have a correx base, presumably this will act in same way as cardboard? We will have piglets so don’t want them to get stuck! All things going well they’ll be 9 weeks when we get them. Not sure how small/big they’re likely to be? They’re officially for DS but I am very excited too!
Will have a look at other bedding options. Not sure how environmentally friendly puppy pads are? Are they like those disposable bed protectors you get for humans?

Flicketyflack Mon 20-Nov-17 12:19:52

Newspaper and lots of hay as recommended by the local GP rescue place.

I clean it out every second day and add fresh water and hay in between. 😃

Chopchopbusybusy Mon 20-Nov-17 12:25:47

Sadly we no longer have piggies but we tried loads of things. Fleece, towels, wood shavings, hay, newspaper and expensive can't remember the name stuff from the pet shop. Best by far was megazorb. Google it. We bought it from a local horse supplies shop. Came in huge sacks.

jobnockey Mon 20-Nov-17 14:36:17

Thanks everyone. I have come across the megazoorb stuff but was told it smells weird... is this true in your experience chopchop?

TimeIhadaNameChange Mon 20-Nov-17 15:28:13

I know you said you don't want extra washing but I use washable incontinence pads for both my guineas and my rabbits and it's great. Even better now I've got a horse bag to wash them in, so that all loose bits of hay and hair are caught!

Chopchopbusybusy Mon 20-Nov-17 17:07:28

@jobnockey, it does have a bit of a smell to it although I found it calmed down after an hour or two - or maybe I was just used to it. But everything else I found smelly too. The least smelly option was the wood shavings (not sawdust which is really bad for them). But they made such a mess with those. Newspaper wasn’t absorbent enough and they used to get grubby from the newsprint - and they ate it.
I found the fleece very impractical as the hay (and poo) stuck to it.

millimat Wed 06-Dec-17 22:49:31

Megazorb had a slight vinegar smell I think. I like it though - seems to keep things drier and cleaner than shavings. We now use fleece indoors and have got two custom made fleece liners from Ziggyspiggies.webs.com piggies
They go in the washing machine on the quick economy cycle and are dry within half an hour of coming out. I've not had any issues with hay in the washing machine.Our pigs love them - they're a fan of curling up on fleece.

millimat Wed 06-Dec-17 22:50:31

OK that link didn't work. I'll put on the long version grin http://ziggyspiggies.m.webs.com/site/mobile?dmpath=%2F&fww_sigsocial=0&fww_siglocale=en-US&fww_sigtier=1&fww_sigpermissionn_level=0&fwsigg_isadmin=0&fww_sigpremium=1&fww_sigapii_key=522b0eedffc137c934fc7268582d53a1&fwsigg_site=109304373&fwsigg_time=1512600400109&fwsig=9a6a86598130b7cb76e4d0ed4c904eec&fww_sigurl=http://ziggyspiggies.webs.com/&fww_sigpartner=webs&fww_sigsessionn_key=6480afe9b3506ab04d0d530d791b1f8131302a15aff04cdac2af882b6c59635a-109304373&fwsigg_permissions=none&fwsigg_accesstoken=1c4a85c4c8164e2e9239d7792271a824820607c5&fbb_sig_network=fw#0320

millimat Wed 06-Dec-17 22:51:27

http://ziggyspiggies.m.webs.com/site/wrap?url=http://ziggyspiggies.webs.com/apps/webstore/&back=http%3A%2F%2Fziggyspiggies.m.webs.com%2Fsite%2Fmobile%3Furl%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fziggyspiggies.webs.com%2F%26dm_package%3D1

millimat Wed 06-Dec-17 22:51:50

Third time lucky!

DraughtyWindow Wed 20-Dec-17 12:10:56

Wood pellets. Lasts for ages. You can buy it online or from horse feed suppliers. It absorbs the wet and it doesn’t smell at all. Brilliant stuff and economical too.

SpringSnowdrop Wed 20-Dec-17 12:15:04

I also got on well with washable incontinence pads. I rinsed them well first and seemed to work well and save a lot of waste

fortifiedwithtea Wed 20-Dec-17 12:34:33

Elderly indoor piggy for us. She lives in a wooden outdoor hutch but in the living room, its quite a feature. I use a layer of newspaper with hay on top . She has homemade double layer cuddle fleece liners that I put in her log tunnel where she likes to sit. Its soft on her poor old lumpy body and goes in the washing machine on a hot wash. I find poo and hay are easily shaken off cuddle fleece.

Baby guinea pigs are extremely fast, be prepared to rescue them from down the back of the sofa. When they are adults they are content to sit on your lap or curl up under your chin. They are not at all bitey but one liked to chew cables and my earrings and current elderly lady loves to lick fingers and when she finds a fingernail she likes to gnaw. I have had had a few guinea pig manicures grin from her.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: