Talk

Advanced search

Guinea pig advice

(13 Posts)
bimbambom Fri 10-Nov-17 10:32:41

Hi we are adopting 3 piggies in a couple of weeks.
I've googled what I can but wondered if anyone had any advice or can think of anything I might need that I might not have thought of.
Many thanks

EastMidsGPs Fri 10-Nov-17 12:25:37

Give us a bit more information please
Boars, sows, ages, where will you keep them, what are you keeping them in, have you kept small furries before, do you have children, what do you want to know 😃

bimbambom Fri 10-Nov-17 12:35:52

They are 3 boars (brothers). Will live in a large double level hutch in the utility room. I have 3 kids who will help out I hope. I had some as a child but that was a long time ago 😁
Apart from bedding and food how many toys and things do they need? How much exercise?
Any advice gratefully received

bimbambom Fri 10-Nov-17 12:36:40

They are 1. Have been living with a lady who is giving them away due to ill health

Synecdoche Fri 10-Nov-17 12:39:45

They will need top quality feeding (timothy) hay and now it's advised not to use sawdust as bedding. These are the two things that have changed since I kept rabbits as a child!

AmIAWeed Fri 10-Nov-17 12:54:08

If they are all boys I'd be keeping a really close eye on them to ensure there is no fighting.
You could neuter them if they do but that would be my first concern.

Other than that lots of veg for them, my daughter reads to hers on a daily basis which started when she first got them and they were nervous but also helped her reading so much she continued

grouchymamabear Fri 10-Nov-17 13:08:57

Toys are a tough one since it really depends based on their individual likes!

We brought our girls home in March and have spent a fair bit of money on various toys since then - most of which were avoided! The things that ours seem to enjoy the most are; cardboard boxes to run around in, tunnels, hideaways that they can also eat, fleece blankets and cushions...

So I would suggest either asking the previous owner what kind of things they like to play with or just buy the odd toy here or there to see what they enjoy. The same applies for food really - they will have favourite veggies/treats and ones that they simply won't touch!

Best of luck with the piggies! 🙂

KalaLaka Fri 10-Nov-17 13:10:55

They don't need toys. They like little boxes to nest in and tunnels to run through. Have you got a run?

Check the safe foods lists online too.

bimbambom Fri 10-Nov-17 13:16:06

Thanks for all the advice!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 10-Nov-17 14:47:50

Three boars are tough , if they've been a happy trio then hopefully this will continue.
Ask the owner which piggie is No1/No2/No3 on the pecking order.

Give them loads of space. Boars like each others company but they need Get Outta My Face space.

Boxes need 2 doors cut so that one cannot be trapped.
Have a couple of water bottles a couple of pellet bowls and seperate bowls or piles of veg.

Don't neuter them unless you want them sterile to bond with sows and don't have 2 boars together if you have sows , they'll scrap.

Neutering a boar is £40-£60 and not without risk, and if you have fighty boars with bollocks they won;t become calm after castration. (just Jaffa grin )

Boars are lovely, snuggly, greedy love sponges.
Unlike most male animals they don't smell more than females. (Actually my boar is a tidy little soul compared to the sows)

They will be shy when you get them, the only constant will be each other. But you'll win them round. Guinea pigs are bellies on legs.

Start stocking up on newspapers (they need bedding changed regularly)

Get yourself some Gorgeous Guinea shampoo (online)
Kit yourself a guinea pig First Aid Kit (I started a thread a while back)
Some piggie nail clippers
The details of a good piggie vet (they're "exotic" ) . Hopefully you won't need a vet. Ask where they usually go.
Read up on the good/bad/ugly of foods.

The owner will give you the food they're eating, if you want to change anything do it slowly.
And (not in the LEAST bit weird) ask for some of their dirty bedding to give them a familiar smell in their new house.

And -
Pigtures
MN nicknames for your guineas to preserve their anonymity wink

bimbambom Fri 10-Nov-17 19:21:50

Oh thank you so much so much valuable info it's so lovely to share your knowledge. As far as I know they have a good relationship but I have a huge hut them to live in and a big run for the garden. Looking forward to them being a part of our family as they have had had a tough few months without their owner and we have lots of time and love to give. Guessing it will be a steep learning curve but so happy to have them .
Thanks again

bimbambom Fri 10-Nov-17 19:22:35

Gorgeous shampoo on the list smile

Beamur Fri 10-Nov-17 19:29:05

I also have 3, but have been obliged to split them as one was being bitten.
Advice I was given was to always have 1 more hidey place to go into than you have piggies. They are mostly quite amiable souls but need to be able to get away from each other sometimes too.
They are easy to feed (and love food) but don't overfeed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now