Talk

Advanced search

Good toys for Guineas pigs who don't know how to play

(14 Posts)
ElephantsandTigers Wed 08-Nov-17 16:07:53

Mine have come in now and after ten days of being in have started chewing on the bars. What are good things to get them? I've bought them so many toys and many are just ignored so would appreciate some recommendations please. TIA.

EastMidsGPs Wed 08-Nov-17 17:05:04

Mine are permanently enthralled by parsley bells (from Pounds trencher) those cardboard tunnels covered in hay, cardboard boxes and the seedtrays of grass and parsley that DH grows for them.
For our of cage play they have a couple of nylon tunnels, large boxes and a fleecy pod thingy that the baby has nabbed as her own.

ElephantsandTigers Wed 08-Nov-17 18:47:18

Thank you. We haven't got a poundstretcher but we have got a pets at home. I'll look tomorrow.

EastMidsGPs Wed 08-Nov-17 20:48:17

Shame about no poundstretcher their hay cookies and nibbles are the same as O@H but cheaper.
DH likes a rummage round The Range when he gets the chance, they do nibble sticks etc .. but really given how portly Sadie is, my piggies do not need any more treats!
They are currently in the utility room for the winter. We put then out to run around (or simply sit) so they have their igloos and tunnels out and any boxes we've got. As I said earlier they do like plonking themselves in the middle of a grass growing seed tray and munching their way through the grass. Although we are currently cutting grass and bringing it in for them.
Our baby is harder to keep amused than us Sadie and she is constantly up to mischief - chewing shoelaces today .. and last week getting stuck behind a cupboard.

ElephantsandTigers Thu 09-Nov-17 07:58:20

We have a range so that would work. Ours won't be able to go outside as the grass will be wet for months but they could play on the patio in their play pen and I could pick some grass. We live high up and it's just so cold. The vet said they cope okay with cold but that's not what I'd heard confused.

FernieB Thu 09-Nov-17 10:03:14

Cardboard boxes and plenty of them. My mum and her friends donate them for my pigs. I cut doors in them and make them complicated tunnel systems on an old fleece blanket on the kitchen floor. They run round (and snooze) in there for hours. Luckily I have silly pigs that think they’re incapable of walking on the bare kitchen floor, so they never wander off the blanket. I can leave them and nip to the shops and they don’t stray. No bought toys have ever given as much amusement as a few boxes.

ElephantsandTigers Thu 09-Nov-17 11:50:08

Just like human children!! grin

KalaLaka Thu 09-Nov-17 11:55:07

Have they got lots of hay to eat?

You cab put Hay/grass in cardboard tubes and leave them to pull it out.
Hide their fresh food around the hutch .

My guinea pigs don't 'play', they run around and forage for food though.

ElephantsandTigers Thu 09-Nov-17 12:00:34

They always have hay. Would they be able to pull it out of kitchen roll tubes? I had thought about that before but worried they'd eat the tube blush.

CryingShame Thu 09-Nov-17 12:04:21

They'll be fine eating the cardboard tube, they like them. Ours are currently working their way through one.

ElephantsandTigers Thu 09-Nov-17 12:25:30

I always have loads as use a lot of kitchen roll so I'll start saving them for the piggies thank you. I've been having a think and I think there might be a poundstretcher at a new shopping area so will check that out.

EastMidsGPs Thu 09-Nov-17 13:01:24

Oh yes cardboard tubes with hay pushed inside go down a treat.
We were given apple tree twigs the other day from our neighbour, they've enjoyed them. But any stick/toy is nibbled at.

ElephantsandTigers Fri 10-Nov-17 12:39:58

It was a poundstretcher so I got two parsley bells and a salt lick thingy. Thank you.

Finola1step Fri 10-Nov-17 12:46:20

Another vote for hay in cardboard tubes and lots of cardboard boxes. We sometimes make a Piggie Maze using different boxes with various openings, tunnels, old hand towels draped across. And our eldest loves nothing more than a paper bag. our eldest piggie not our eldest child

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now