Talk

Advanced search

Guinea pig used litter

(13 Posts)
dontstopmenow Sun 29-Oct-17 10:18:51

So, we have always been able to dispose of waste sawdust and droppings etc in with our garden waste bin.
Our council have just changed the rules and it now has to go in our household waste bin. This bin is tiny and always full with human rubbish!
What does everyone else do with their waste?
At the moment I feel like I’m going to be driving to the waste depot every week with a bin bag full!
Thank you fellow pig slaves!

AtSea1979 Sun 29-Oct-17 10:26:35

I've always used general waste bin, it gets quite full but most of my household things go in recycle bin. Only other thing I can suggest is checking your neighbours bins on bin day or getting a compost heap/box in your garden

Polkadotties Sun 29-Oct-17 10:31:36

I have two rabbits and their dirty bedding goes in the general black bin. There's only me and DP and we recycle lots so the bin is only really used for the rabbits.

MamaOfTwos Sun 29-Oct-17 10:42:28

I'd put it in the green bin underneath some leaves

dontstopmenow Sun 29-Oct-17 10:56:56

Sneaky mamaoftwos!

Does anyone compost wood shavings? I’m wondering if they would take a very long time to decompose as I could see a compost bin filling up quite rapidly!!!

iknowimcoming Sun 29-Oct-17 11:11:30

I’ve always put mine in the green bin, the info from the council says not to but the policy here is they put a note on your bin if you put unauthorised waste in it and I’ve never had a note, I used to put chicken waste in there too and never had an issue. I’ve assumed it’s because round here it gets made into compost and pig/chicken poo would be an aid to that. I was told they say no animal waste to deter people putting cat/dog poo in them?

fortifiedwithtea Sun 29-Oct-17 16:15:55

We now only have a black bin collection once a fortnight and yes sometimes DH has to do a trip to the dump with the excess rubbish. Guinea pig waste reduced when we stopped using sawdust. One of our piggies was very wheezy on sawdust. I just line the hutch with newspaper and hay.

AtSea1979 Sun 29-Oct-17 20:50:04

Wood shavings aren't good for guinea pigs. I assumed you were bedding on paper and hay.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 29-Oct-17 21:30:03

In the pigs' indoor cages we have puppy pads under newspaper with a memory foam bathmat (tucked well out of chewing reach) under their sleeping houses.
Hay cookies for picking at.
Shredded cardboard/loo roll tubes for sleeping in.

So hopefully ( crosses fingers) they won't create too much mess and waste . They still have their outdoor Pighouse beds.
I can spot clean the boars house, but if the ladies need fresh daily so be it, I don't want them sitting in dirty hay.

They were in last night (and tonight) its really turned here plus all the fireworks noise hmm

DD had an early morning cuddle with GP7 grin

We still have weekly collections (black bin bags) and fortnight for garden waste . We do need to buy the bags so we're not limited.

Guinea-pig waste does make good compost though .

TimeIhadaNameChange Mon 30-Oct-17 09:13:53

I insist on composting it (DP, the gardener, isn't so keen) but, thankfully, we have a huge garden, with many, many compost bins! The guineas aren't so bad as their cage is lined with washable incontinence pads, so it's only poo, hay and leftover food which goes in there. The rabbits, on the other hand, have five litter trays (which get changed midweek too) so that's an awful lot of stuff for the compost bin! But it does make good compost as pp have said, even if the straw and hay take a while to decompose.

FernieB Mon 30-Oct-17 10:18:45

Ours goes in the black bin (collected fortnightly). We do have an enormous black bin though, although we rarely fill it. Have you tried asking the council for a bigger bin? There are 3 different sizes of wheelie bin available. We also use newspaper for the pigs which when rolled up tightly doesn’t take up much space.

dontstopmenow Thu 02-Nov-17 09:49:49

Thank you all!! So many replies!! Am going to look into washable incontinence pads as that would cut down on a lot on waste. Pigs are coming in for the winter this weekend due to the fireworks.

Toottootcar Wed 08-Nov-17 23:13:51

I have tried to get a bigger bin from the council, we have the smallest size. There is a minimum no in the household you must reach - pigs are not counted in the number, despite creating most of the landfill mess! So its off to the dump we go...every week or so.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: