Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Rabbit conundrum

(6 Posts)
Boyrabbitgirl Sun 08-Oct-17 20:18:34

I have an unneutered male rabbit who is 4 years old and has a heart murmur so can’t be neutered. He was living with two guinea pigs who passed away aged 8. He became very depressed and wouldn’t leave his hutch or eat.

The vet suggested we got him a male companion to keep him company.

So we got him a male companion!

We now have a 6 month old girl who was sold to us as a male. She is very small and weighs under a 1kg. The vet doesn’t think she’ll go above the 1kg so can’t be neutered.

So now I have a boy and a girl and neither one can be neutered.

Keeping them separate and alone is unfair on them, but I don’t know what else I can do.

I want to bring them inside over winter to protect them from the cold but don’t have enough room for 2 hutches.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?

My husband says to rehome one, but that doesn’t solve the loneliness issue of the one left and I don’t want to rehome a boy who can’t be neutered nor a girl who could be bred. But we can’t keep 2 separately and I can’t get them each a companion.

ScoobyDoosTinklyLaugh Sun 08-Oct-17 20:29:05

We had a male rabbit who we never managed to bond with any other rabbit and he got depressed outside on his own so we brought him inside and he lived along side us. He fucked up the flat but he was a happy bun.

Boyrabbitgirl Sun 08-Oct-17 20:46:45

Unfortunately with cat and dog on the loose a true house bunny wouldn’t survive. So it’s hutch for overnight indoors then outside during the day in hutch and run

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 08-Oct-17 21:51:42

I'm not a rabbit person but the only workable option I can think of:

contact a Rescue and explain the situation, ask if they could possibly rehome your female (if you're thinking about rehoming as a serious option) and get them to bond your male with a neutered doe (which will cost you as you'd need to give an Adoption fee to cover rabbit+neutering if they have done this, might have come to Rescue already spayed+injevtions+dental check/vet check)
or a buck (again cost of rabbit+ above)
and a Surrender fee for your doe but they will ensure whoever gets her won't breed her.
They might take some persuasion but explain the circumstances.

Or -
rabbits are hardier than guinea-pigs. Can you buy them a shed for the hutches and insulate it to suit their needs, loads of hay etc.
(That ^ would probably work out cheaper. Look on Gumtree for 2nd hand sheds? )

SoftSheen Sun 08-Oct-17 22:05:43

70s suggestion is a very good one.

If you do attempt to keep both rabbits, please make sure that their accommodation is very secure, as male rabbits can be very determined bitter experience.

Rabbits can live outside all winter (excepting any extreme weather conditions), provided that you make sure that their hutch is in a well sheltered/ wind protected area, that the hutch is properly waterproof, and that there is an abundant supply of clean dry bedding for them to snuggle in (I think that good quality barley straw makes good bedding for rabbits).

Boyrabbitgirl Mon 09-Oct-17 18:46:51

Thank you both that’s really helpful. I’m going to see if I can get a rescue to take the girl and see if they have a neutered companion for the boy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now