Advanced search

(15 Posts)
NoTimeToDillyDally Sun 27-Aug-17 15:31:30

We are very upset. Our cat has diabetes and was very stable before we put her in the cattery for two weeks. We took her for a check up the very day we took her in - just to check she was on the right dose (weight and glucose levels, etc.). All was great. A letter from the vet was given to the cattery, along with her needles and insulin.

In short, we collected her this morning and she was admitted to the vet (for at least 3 days) for being unable to walk properly, 5% dehydration, a loss of 700g in weight since going in, sunken eyes, lethargic to the point of laying on the floor, etc.

The cattery claim she's been absolutely fine but was a bit quiet this morning.

What do we do?

I'm despairing! Although I'm confident in the be
We have a bill of over £1000 but MOST distressing, a terribly poorly cat who quite unnecessarily has been and now is in this state.

If a child had been in a residential camp and been returned in this state, the Social Services would've been contacted.

The cattery claims they'd had no concerns about my cat until this morning, when we collected her but are now saying she'd been seen by a visiting vet, twice.
None of this makes sense.

Veterinari Sun 27-Aug-17 15:37:20

You need to ask for the visiting vet to send the medical information to your vet and also follow up on the cattery's policy re:vet care - its usual that most Catteries will contact an owner if vet treatment is required (and bill owner for it) was this not done?

Were the cattery staff properly trained in insulin storage and administration?
Do they have daily records/kennels sheets to monitor food and water intake and insulin administration?
It's sounding as if the insulin was not correctly administered.

You need to request copies of alm records from the cattery and visiting vet and follow up on the cattery's policy in administration of meds. They should have third party insurance to cover costs if negligent.

NoTimeToDillyDally Sun 27-Aug-17 15:50:58

Thank you so much. That's very helpful advice.

We haven't asked some of those questions.
We were not contacted even when we collected her (about having her insulin or about a visiting vet we have since found out is a trainee vet). We were told that they'd had no concerns other than her being a bit withdrawn this morning (the morning of her being collected). Now they're saying a visiting vet (student) saw her twice. Why? Why didn't they take her to the regular vet they're insured to take her to - who knows her history etc.

Nothing makes sense.

Veterinari Sun 27-Aug-17 18:59:22

A vet student has NO legal authority to give medical advice. They are not licensed and can only work under close and direct supervision of a veterinary surgeon. It sounds as if the cattery are relying on the local work experience student for medical advice which is utterly unacceptable.

You need to ask why an unqualified student was asked to check her and why she wasn't taken to a vet.
With the signs you describe there's no way there weren't some prior indications.

Definitely ask re: records/daily care sheets, ask how and when her insulin was administered, what she ate etc. It sounds daft but check that they actually objected the insulin and didn't just squirt it in her food or similar - were they given clear instructions and training?

Have you used them before?

Jaxhog Sun 27-Aug-17 19:10:55

This is outrageous.

Was it a very large cattery? We've stopped using the cattery we've been using for over 25 years because they now have so many runs (50+) that they can't possibly care for all the cats properly. One of ours came home with anxiety problems, having rubbed the fur off his head in several spots. They mentioned nothing to us, probably because they just didn't notice. Thankfully ours don't have any major health problems.

As suggested, I would also ask for their records and check the cattery's insurance info.

NoTimeToDillyDally Sun 27-Aug-17 23:25:37

Jax, that's just it: it appears to me taut they didn't notice (failed to even look at her) for the two weeks she was there. They'd have noticed.

It's relatively large in size for a cattery. I don't really know. Just devastated and shocked that they could be so neglectful.

How's your poor cat now? Can't bear to think of him/her being so anxious

Veterinari, you're spot on with the student not being legally allowed to be the one to carry out checks and give advice. I'm just so shocked

Jaxhog Thu 07-Sep-17 22:34:45

We're now trying another cattery. One with a lot less cats. For short trips I have a lovely friend who looks after them at home. Much the best solution, but not very practical for longer trips.

Our little one was clingy to his dad for a while, but his fur grew back and he's completely fine now. How is yours?

I think there should be an upper limit of the size of catteries. 50+ is way too many.

JigglyTuff Thu 07-Sep-17 22:36:38

I would try and find someone that looks after your cats in your own home. Cats are happier not being moved around and my cat sitter sends me daily updates (with photos!)

NoTimeToDillyDally Thu 07-Sep-17 22:44:03

Yes. I do agree that it'd be ideal for a cat to stay at home and have shrine come in to visit & cuddle them, change/ fill the food and water. Mine would hide though as she only likes to approach with who she knows well. We'd need the person to come in twice a day, too. That'd be as expensive as having a good cattery. We've decided only to go for a cattery attached to a vet from now on. We really did get such a horrible scare and upset.

NoTimeToDillyDally Thu 07-Sep-17 22:44:45

She's doing really well, considering. Still not herself and underweight but ... alive and able to walk.

Jaxhog Thu 07-Sep-17 23:33:30

My friend actually house sits as well. She likes the peace and quiet (and my decent wifi!) We don't pay her, but we stock the cupboard and fridge with all her favourite goodies. It's a quid pro quo thing. I wouldn't ask her to do it for more than 4 or 5 days though. Our cats also know her very well.

I do hope your little one gets back to her normal soon. Very wise picking a cattery attached to a Vets. It's hard enough to leave them, without worrying about them being properly looked after as well.

catsanddogsfightless Thu 12-Oct-17 18:12:24

poor pussycat.

The Cattery does sound negligent.

Someone else posted that they sound like they have not been checking on her regularly or thoroughly enough.

Luckily I had not needed to use a cattery for a long time because family members have kindly agreed to do 2 visits per days to feed my cats in their own home and check them over for fear of any illness or accident. Again fortunately, we I had used a cattery I visited a few times just to nosey about and was happy with what I saw and my cats were looked after in there and were chilled and happy when we collected them. They have only ever been left in a cattery for 7 nights or over a weekend.

Hopefully you cat is on the mend.

Has the cattery officially apologised to you for not noticing puss was ill? Have they confirmed to you if they gave the insulin injections correctly? Could your vet do a visit to the cattery to give them advice and guidance about dealing with cats with diabetes?

NoTimeToDillyDally Thu 12-Oct-17 21:34:34

Thank you for your posts, Vax and Catsand.
The cattery admitted negligence and used their liability insurance to pay for her vet bills, thankfully. These bills were well in excess of £3000 for the week that she was in (vet) Hospital for.

She stayed home and recovered well for another week after that but wanted and was well enough to go for her usual wanderkngs outside, after that. Within the first week of her venturing out, she went missing and has never come back. I’m heartbroken - without exaggeration. She was, of course, chipped and we did alert the vets, Facebook posts lovaly and for missing animals, put posters up and went ‘door to door’ asking people to look in their garages and sheds. She was nowhere. Not knowing is horrible. She was absolutely well when she went missing and I’m pining for her but have now given up hope - almost. I’ve put her food and scratching posts, etc in the garage as it’s too upsetting to look at.

I’ve been contacted to identify two dead cats, found by the side of the road, in our village. Neither have been her, but I’ve taken them to the vet, nevertheless.

I do wonder what on earth has happened.
The vet was liable to pay for further treatment related to their neglect. Not any more. hmm

Jaxhog Fri 13-Oct-17 10:29:41

That is just so sad OP. For what it's worth, you should try neighbours garages and outhouses again. Four years ago, one of our darlings went missing for 32 days. He turned up in a neighbour's outhouse, where they have a toilet, sink and freezer. We've no idea whether he was there for all that time. Although he was thin and a little dehydrated when we found him, he was otherwise healthy. He took less than 3 weeks to get back up to his fighting (podgy) weight.

NoTimeToDillyDally Fri 13-Oct-17 22:45:21

You’re rugby. I should try again. Thank you for the suggestion. Although I do wonder whether she’d survive after all this time without her insulin, too. Fingers crossed.

Glad to hear your cat was found and quickly returned to health. Thank goodness!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now