Talk

Advanced search

A fox took my piggies 😢

(20 Posts)
FauxFox Thu 06-Jul-17 09:00:59

It managed to open a bolt and get in. Only a few tufts of hair left sad

I am so, so sad. They were such lovely boys. I don't know what to tell the children.

If you have a bolt lock on your outdoor hutch please get a padlock for extra security - I had no idea a fox could get a bolt undone. Poor guineas.

TheFlyingFauxPas Thu 06-Jul-17 09:03:30

I am very very sorry faux. I would have thought it would have been quick xx

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Thu 06-Jul-17 09:06:08

I'm sorry. That's devastating.

flowers

70isaLimitNotaTarget Thu 06-Jul-17 09:30:36

Ohhhhhh sad shock sad

Poor piggies and poor you - horrible thing to happen.

(Not being grim but have you had a look round the garden perimeter where the foxes might escape , just in case they've left a pig? Your pig would be hiding. Most likely you'll find nothing but worth a check )

Small (tiny) comfort as Flying says , I'd imagine it'd be quick, foxes are ruthless.

I hope your DC are ok, I don't know how you'd start that conversation.

We have foxes in a neighbours garden, on a garage. They are fearless vermin, I love most animals but not foxes.

sad for The Three Little Pigs

FauxFox Thu 06-Jul-17 09:44:00

So sad sad

I had a look around the garden and there was another little tuft of pig fur where I think the fox came in but no blood or anything anywhere, even in the hutch.

DD is going to be so sad. She loved those piggies. And DS will be so confused (ASD).

I think I might have a big clean of the hutch, get some new padlocks, block up the potential fox hole into next door and go and get some more piggies tomorrow. The three little pigs were so sweet and unique and I hate to 'replace' them but I just can't bear the empty hutch and it might cheer up the kids...

TheFairyCaravan Thu 06-Jul-17 09:49:04

Oh no! I'm so very sorry sad

I always laugh at DS1(22) because he locks our piggies in when he's at home. I won't now. blush

flowers

FernieB Thu 06-Jul-17 12:38:20

So sad to hear this. Poor piggies. I've no idea how you'd broach this with the children except all that 'circle of life, lion king' stuff. They'll probably take it better than you think, kids usually do. And new pigs will almost certainly help.

I'll admit I do have a soft spot for mr fox, but I live semi-rurally and our foxes are quite shy and rarely seen. I don't have any of those bold urban foxes about.

FauxFox Thu 06-Jul-17 14:31:19

I cleaned the hutch. It's so empty. I am so sad sad

Finola1step Thu 06-Jul-17 14:35:57

Poor, poor piggies. And poor you.

999problems Thu 06-Jul-17 17:26:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FauxFox Thu 06-Jul-17 20:47:59

Kids are sad but OK. It helps that the local petshop has five baby boars in at the mo - i'm hoping to buy two or three tomorrow and i've fitted padlocks on the hutch so there will be no more fox dinners at our house angry

It is the circle of life you're right Fernie we are still super happy we had such awesome piggies even if it was for a far shorter time than we'd have liked...

woodhill Thu 06-Jul-17 20:50:51

So sorry, have you thought about gp rescue centres rather than going to the pet shop.

Keel Thu 06-Jul-17 20:54:40

Aww so sorry. I'm going to make sure my hutch is super protected. Hope your little ones enjoy their new piggies

70isaLimitNotaTarget Thu 06-Jul-17 21:52:35

Cleaning the Pighouse when one of my piggies has pootled to The Bridge is the saddest part of pig-ownership IMO.
Its like they die, then you eradicate every whiff of them.

Faux padlocks and cable ties (you can get them in The Range at the car supplies) .
We padlock our Pighouse door and tie their run doors with cable ties.

Our piggies had a cat sitting on top of the run last week - bold as brass- DH was sitting in the garden too.
Our runs are hip height (Rabbit Runs) so the cat couldn't get near but I was shock at its cheek.
Foxes are out at dusk here. Nasty feral scavengers.Even if I clang the metal plates together they're Meh .

FauxFox Fri 07-Jul-17 14:04:52

My local rescues only have long-haired or single boars who want to live with females at the mo and the kids don't want to wait so pet shop it is...we are collecting three pigs this afternoon and I have made everything ready (and safe!). I might start a new thread with the new piggies on - this one is too sad sad We are laminating some photos of the poor piggies to put on the hutch and i'm framing a photo of DDs fav pig for her room. RIP my piggie pig pigs flowers

Incidentally I told DD about The Rainbow Bridge which I only heard about from you guys and it helped a lot - thanks so much everyone x

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 07-Jul-17 15:15:06

Yes, Faux we will be demanding patiently waiting for a New Piggie Thread.

That's the weird thing with Rescue, sometimes they're over run, other times they have piggies but not what fits what you need.

Your new piggies will have their own piganalities and not replace the Three Little Pigs but fill the aching heart space.

Have you stocked up your padlocks wink ?

woodhill Fri 07-Jul-17 16:50:43

Yes long haired pigs can be tricky with dc. We have one who does not like being groomed.

So sorry about your babies.

dietcokeandwine Fri 07-Jul-17 20:26:36

Oh OP I am so sorry sadsadsad

Your poor piggies, and poor you and DC.

A padlock sounds like an excellent idea for your new little pigs. I hope their arrival gives you all something nice to focus on after such a terrible shock.

DudeHatesHisCarryOut Mon 10-Jul-17 10:06:26

Poor piggies. I lost two rabbits to a pine marten last year which was horrendous. It couldn't get their bodies out the run so I did find them, but one was in an awful state.

The remaining five are now in a new, totally secure run, but even at that I make sure they are shut in their shed at night.

ASDismynormality Mon 10-Jul-17 10:12:05

My rabbits were caught by foxes earlier this year, it's very sad when it happens to our loved pets.

My guineas live indoors at night, I don't feel it's safe to leave them out side except for a few hours during the day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now