Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can I give my hamster large vegetables to nibble at?

(18 Posts)
Sixp Mon 05-Jun-17 20:56:15

Fairly new to hamsters here, but have read up on them. We have a Syrian hamster who seems very happy and we have been introducing fresh vegetables to him gradually. We have tended to hold a finger length piece of something out to him and he comes and nibbles little bits off. Tonight we introduced cucumber and he nibbled a few bits off before disappearing with a whole slice in to his house. Everything I read says that food should be chopped in to tiny pieces, but isn't it fine for them to nibble little bits off - and more natural?

LillianGish Mon 05-Jun-17 21:01:02

We never chop it up, but only give small pieces if that make sense. When I saw your title I was imagining you giving him a whole cucumber grin. I give ours the end when I'm cutting a new cucumber or break off the end of a carrot. I likes picking them up in his paws - so cute. No need to chop up.

Sixp Mon 05-Jun-17 21:42:35

Thank you! That was my gut instinct too.

Howlandbreathe Mon 05-Jun-17 21:43:57

They go mad for walnuts. Just crack the shell gently with nutcrackers to get him started smile

OverAndAbove Mon 05-Jun-17 21:49:05

They shouldn't have too much raw veg per day though as it can upset their digestion and be really bad for them. About as much as would fit in a tea spoon is fine.

Ours likes to pack the whole chunk into his pouch and take it into his den to gloat/tease/nibble relentlessly

StarryCorpulentCunt Mon 05-Jun-17 21:51:58

It's fine for them to gnaw on larger pieces, just make sure it isn't a size or shape that could get lodged in a pouch and make sure they don't have too much of anything particularly watery or sweet like carrot or lettuce. A hammy with the runs is not a pretty sight.

TheFairyCaravan Mon 05-Jun-17 21:52:42

I don't chop veg up for mine but I don't give him a lot because it will make him poorly and hamsters can dehydrate quickly.

Mine goes mad for a few cooked peas. He hoovers them up and runs to bed to eat them.

OverAndAbove Mon 05-Jun-17 22:12:11

Actually walnut is a really good idea. I think our boy would love fighting his way into that!

Sixp Mon 05-Jun-17 22:37:30

Thanks everyone. I'm looking forward to trying some walnuts! We've only been giving him a little bit of fresh food once a week up until now and we may try and gradually increase the frequency.

StarryCorpulentCunt Tue 06-Jun-17 09:42:03

Wait till you try cheese. Only ever known 1 hamster to not be crazy about cheese. One of mine used to be awake and up the cage bars as soon as he heard tin foil.

velourvoyageur Wed 07-Jun-17 18:41:59

My little prince of a hamster will only deign to accept a blueberry from me if I split the skin first. Its plump smoothness is just too intimidating. He cba to try himself but gobbles it up once there's a toothhold!

I give him a taste of most things I eat at home really - he LOVED Quorn!

And yes the little hands are so adorable!

tapdancingmum Wed 07-Jun-17 18:46:47

All ours (6 at the last count) love cooked pasta and hard boiled egg. We gave the Syrian's some baby corn and the biggest pouched it all and took it to her house. They are great creatures​ to watch untill Lucy dislodges her wheel during the night and wakes me up (she's in our room)!

velourvoyageur Wed 07-Jun-17 19:43:26

HRH with marinated aubergine

velourvoyageur Wed 07-Jun-17 20:01:28

Caponata-induced slumber
He's so lovely and tame.

Sixp Thu 08-Jun-17 08:56:28

Love the photos! Tried cooked chicken on our little chap last night, but he didn't seem too enamoured!

LillianGish Thu 08-Jun-17 15:35:11

Standing guard in his food bowl!

velourvoyageur Thu 08-Jun-17 18:14:23

Aww! Such a brave sentinel!

Pity about the chicken, all mine have been fervent carnivores (they're not tooo bright, hence the Quorn appreciation).

rightsaidfrederick Mon 12-Jun-17 21:57:11

There's a fairly comprehensive list of which fruit and veg are suitable for hamsters here hamsterhideout.com/forum/topic/96457-safe-and-unsafe-foods-for-hamsters/ It should be unseasoned and without sauces. Most can be fed raw, but potatoes should be cooked.

It should always be given in moderation (e.g. a piece the size of your thumbnail) but they can definitely chew it up from that point!

Whimzee dog chews are hamster safe, universally popular and very good for their teeth - my hamster loves them but one can last a month! You can buy them in Pets at Home and other pet shops www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/merch-groups/whimzees

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now