Talk

Advanced search

Keeping 2 male rabbits together?

(2 Posts)
neonfrog Sat 27-May-17 04:38:54

First time pet owners.

I keep being given conflicting advice about keeping rabbits. I've bought the hutch today all ready to collect a boy rabbit tomorrow. I'm worried he will be lonely so am considering bringing back his 'cell' mate to who is also a boy. They seem happy together in the shop.

Is this a good idea or not? Definitely will get neutered in about 4 weeks if that will help.

TheresaMayJeremyWill Sat 27-May-17 13:00:14

What's the conflicting advice?
Yes, rabbits need to be in pairs (at least). And yes - definitely need to be neutered. They need to be around 12 weeks old/mature enough for this. So timing is key to get them neutered before hormones kick in and fights start. (If this happens you would need to separate and re-bond them).
Two boys together is fine - male/female pairs are supposedly the easiest to bond, but it's not essential (I've bonded males).
You'll need space whether you get one or two... ie. a run attached to hutch. Will they be houserabbits or outside?
Dare I ask why a pet shop and not a rescue charity? shock grin
When you see them cuddling together it's so sweet! You'll be shocked you ever considered separating them!
All the best. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now