Talk

Advanced search

Old rat boy with pneumonia.

(18 Posts)
chickensaresafehere Tue 09-May-17 12:27:48

My gorgeous old rattie boy,he's 2.5,started last week with a wheezy chest.Took him to the vets & he was diagnosed with pneumonia & given antibiotics.
He has picked up a bit,is taking bits of food & drinking,but is still wheezy.
The vet said that the antibiotics probably would not get rid of the pneumonia,given his age & rats susceptibility to chest infections & I realise he won't go on forever..
But how & when do you make the decision to PTS?? He's relatively happy but is struggling.Oh God!! its so hard!! sad

Addley Tue 09-May-17 12:33:07

I would make the decision to PTS when the rat caves in at the sides and heaves when breathing, seems very listless, won't eat, is very unsteady on feet, or seems to be in pain, possibly earlier but they can rally unexpectedly.

Do you have ventolin? I've had success sticking a rat in a tiny box in a very steamy bathroom, and squirting a fuckload of ventolin in there. Risky but it was that or die. The rat got better. Very dark chocolate is rumoured to be good - something about the theobromine. Even if it doesn't help the breathing, they tend to like it anyway so no great loss grin

chickensaresafehere Tue 09-May-17 13:13:01

No ventolin,no. Will definitely try the dark chocolate!
Thanks for the advice, I needed to hear it from someone who understood rats.
He's got out of bed for a drink & has had some cheese & is currently snuggled up with his cage mate,so is not critical yet.

Addley Tue 09-May-17 14:26:10

Good luck! I hope he does well or at least that he's comfortable. I'm glad he's esteem and is having some quality lazing around time with his friend grin IA most definitely NAV but have kept many rats; it's always hard when they're old and unwell. Such a shame they have such short lives.

Addley Tue 09-May-17 14:28:59

Esteem? Eaten.

rattieofcarcassone Tue 09-May-17 17:03:27

Also keep an eye out for bluish extremities and lips, that happens when the oxygen isn't being absorbed efficiently anymore. Sorry to hear your oldie is ill flowers

chickensaresafehere Tue 09-May-17 17:29:14

Will do,thanks!
He's still eating & snuggling but his breathing is so noisy & rattley sad

Addley Thu 11-May-17 09:59:03

How's Rat?

chickensaresafehere Thu 11-May-17 11:10:08

Unfortunately his breathing worsened yesterday,he was really struggling to breathe & refusing to eat.So I took him to the vets last night & made the decision to PTS.I just didn't want him suffering any longer sad
It's so sad that they have such short lives but make such an impact on you.I loved him a lot & really feel for his elderly companion.
I showed him that his friend had died,he sniffed his face & nose & groomed him.I wanted him to understand he was dead,not just disappeared.But I am giving him plenty of attention & treats but he is obviously missing him.

Addley Thu 11-May-17 11:17:08

I'm sorry flowers Well done for making the decision; I'm glad he isn't suffering now. All the best for Other Rat smile

ragged Thu 11-May-17 11:17:33

flowers x

Chillidawg Thu 11-May-17 11:23:18

flowers

SnipSnapCrashCrack Thu 11-May-17 11:25:50

Sorry for your loss flowers I lost my last ratty boy on Friday at 2.5 years old. I have never cried so much in the vets in my life, for something so small they leave a big hole in your life sad

rattieofcarcassone Thu 11-May-17 15:13:37

flowers so sorry to hear about your loss. We had to have our old boy PTS last week and it's amazing how such little things can impact your life!

chickensaresafehere Thu 11-May-17 16:34:14

Thanks all.
I just feel so sorry for his companion sad no one to snuggle up with.
He's an old boy too & isn't too good on his back legs.

ragged Fri 12-May-17 19:28:42

Especially If companion is elderly then I recommend don't try to get him new friends. Was a disaster trying to do that for us, total regrets.

JamesDelaneysHat Fri 12-May-17 19:31:19

Oh this has brought tears to my eyes. His old friend grooming him when you showed him his body sad Rats are fabulous, underrated pets.

MumUndone Fri 12-May-17 20:02:26

Sorry OP. Rats are so lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now