Talk

Advanced search

Rabbits of opposite sex possibly been in contact help!!

(26 Posts)
boopsy Thu 27-Apr-17 14:45:53

We hae 2 rabbits a male and a female kept separate. We are going to bond them and put them together when we have saved up enough for spay/neuter of both of them. Boy lives in a shed free range and girlie in hutch/run combo. We let boy out to free range in the garden as he is easy to catch and female is not (hence the run!) During this time they can see each other and will groom through the mesh of the run and lie together. All very cute hoping bonding will be smooth. When we let the boy out we leave the door open so he can come in and out the house. We let him out today and heard him go up the stairs which he sometimes does as we knew he was in the house we didn't check on him as frequently as we do when he is outside. Dh went to make a cuppa a while later and saw out the window boy bunny was in girl bunnies run and girl bunny was nowhere to be seen. Turns out it was her we heard go upstairs and i hadn't shut the run properly and she got out. Is it possible they missed each other? Could they have just passed each other and not interacted? surely if they had seen each other they would be together not one upstairs and one in the garden? Neither seemed stressed. I am always drumming into dd to keep them separate, shut doors etc and it turns out to be me who did it! Any reassurance i wont get baby rabbits in a few weeks? Stressed out (dd will be delighted though). Was going to arrange an emergency spay but dh looked at me like i was an evil monster lol.

TimeIhadaNameChange Thu 27-Apr-17 15:14:28

I'd do an emergency spay to be honest. Otherwise, if you do end up with a litter, you'll have to keep them apart for longer (ie until the babies are big enough not to be seriously injured by their father), plus you'll have the fun of sexing baby rabbits too, with the risk of inbreeding if you don't get it right. Welcome to my world!

boopsy Thu 27-Apr-17 15:23:00

Thank you. Im scared the vet will think im horrible though and dd will never forgive me (she is 12 and can be rather dramatic lol can imagine her weeping at the poor babies who never got a chance). If she is pregnant i will come up with some sort of plan but so bloody annoyed with myself as it was easily prevented.

Imnotaslimjim Thu 27-Apr-17 15:27:24

Have you mentioned any of this to DD? If not, organise the emergency spay and just say it was time, you had the money blah blah. Once girlie is done you can start having them together. The vet won't think you evil, he would probably agree with ending an unwanted litter.

TimeIhadaNameChange Thu 27-Apr-17 15:37:25

The vet won't thing you're horrible, just sensible. He'll understand it was an accident. And would DD prefer the babies going to homes where they are mistreated? Not that I'm saying it would happen, but it might.

I ended up with an extra five rabbits. Then dad and one of the babies were killed, which still left me with three more than I planned on having. I refused to give them away or sell them, partly because I couldn't trust anyone else to look after them properly, but mainly because there are lots of rabbits already in shelters needing homes, and if someone wants a couple they should get them from a shelter, rather than taking a cute wee baby that would soon enough be an adult anyway.

But they, along with the rest of my pets, are an expense. I reckon I spend more on them than anything else, bar the rent. And that's without taking vet bills into account.

boopsy Thu 27-Apr-17 19:42:09

Dh told DD, seems to find the whole thing amusing (he would as it isn't him who looks after them) she is super excited now ffs. I hope they somehow avoided each other, it is possible.

CornflakeHomunculus Thu 27-Apr-17 19:44:48

Definitely go for the emergency spay. Rabbit rescues are constantly overflowing, there's really no need to bring another litter in to the world when it's entirely preventable with an op she was going to have at some point anyway.

Doing the spay now will also remove the risk of this happening again as if she has a litter she'll be able to conceive again almost immediately.

boopsy Thu 27-Apr-17 20:12:07

She will not conceive again as they dont live together. Will need to save for the spay as no spare cash at the moment, how far along into preg can she still be spayed does anybody know? Will the vet do it under the circs and let me pay later? x

boopsy Thu 27-Apr-17 20:15:46

Told dd she is upset saying how can i abort baby rabbits, feel bloody awful now.

rightsaidfrederickII Thu 27-Apr-17 21:59:19

You can have her spayed early because everywhere from rescue centres to Gumtree is overflowing with unwanted bunnies. The last thing this world needs is more rabbits needing homes - how would your DD feel if the rabbits ended up being PTS because you couldn't find homes for them?

Given your lack of funds, I'd suggest approaching some animal welfare charities to see if they can help with the cost - they will be keen to avoid more unwanted rabbits coming into the world. Some local RSPCA branches seem to do voucher schemes e.g. www.rspca.org.uk/local/stort-valley-branch/latest/detail?newsTitle=neutering-vouchers-available&newsId=5934
PDSA, Blue Cross and any local rescue centres that take rabbits would also be good places to ask

TimeIhadaNameChange Fri 28-Apr-17 11:00:38

Ok, so you have a litter. You're then going to be responsible owners and have them all vaccinated and neutered before they go to their new homes. And you'll keep them for at least eight weeks, which means you have six weeks of having to feed and house an extra so many rabbits.

It will be expensive. How does DD plan to pay for it all? And forget having to put them to sleep if they don't get homes, what happens if they do get homes but are mistreated? Kept in a hutch all their life?

Sorry, I know I probably sound harsh, but I'd pass this on to your DD. I know you don't need to hear it, but it sounds like she does.

boopsy Sat 29-Apr-17 16:50:47

I would obviously make sure they had good homes and would tae rabbits back if they didnt work out. Girl rabbit now does not want to know boy, she runs away when he comes up to her run to see her and looks terrified. Do you think maybe they had a fight? no in juries on either rabbit though. They were bonding so well, does this mean they will never get on now? x

abbsisspartacus Sat 29-Apr-17 16:57:11

take girl for emergency spay tell dd pregnancy test was negative so you went ahead with the spay to stop it happening again

boopsy Sat 29-Apr-17 21:12:23

I never thought of that, ill tell her im taking bun for a check up as shes moody and vet said she wasn't pregnant so is spaying her! Ahh i feel so bad though, I dont even like abortions in general lol x

boopsy Tue 30-May-17 07:28:41

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Chocolatecake12 Tue 30-May-17 07:32:57

You know you have to post photos don't you?

boopsy Tue 30-May-17 08:09:19

TimeIhadaNameChange Tue 30-May-17 16:38:21

Awww - I didn't meet mine until they were two weeks old and out of their burrow so pictures of teeny weeny babies are a must.

Why don't you ask your vet if he'll put a sign up in the surgery for you? That's what my one does. Might find better homes for them that way. Oh, and when mum lets you start handling them, and regularly. Because mine were born underground and lived there for the first few months they're definitely more wild than tame, which is making the daily checks for flystrike rather...interesting, shall we say!

CornflakeHomunculus Tue 30-May-17 16:50:32

If you can't find people who are fully prepared to properly care for them then look for local rescues, whatever you do don't let them go to a pet shop. There's a couple of RSPCA branches in your area and you can find a list of rabbit rescues here on the Rabbit Rehome site.

Do the people you're letting the one go to already have a rabbit that they're hoping to bond the baby to or are they aware rabbits need company? The Rabbit Welfare Association have some advice leaflets you can print out which it would be a good idea to give to potential owners so they know just how much effort and commitment it takes to care for rabbits.

CornflakeHomunculus Tue 30-May-17 17:08:11

Also, bear in mind that you'll need to be able to fully separate the males from the litter and their mother before they're capable of breeding which can be as early as ten to twelve weeks old.

I'd highly recommend posting on this forum, it's full of really knowledgeable rabbit people who can give you proper advice on things like weaning, exactly when to separate the litter, etc.

boopsy Wed 31-May-17 08:07:34

I go on there a lot but forgot my username!! Im going to buy a run so i can separate babies from mum a few days before rehoming to make sure they are eating and drinking ok. When i got my minilop he was in with mum and had no idea how to drink from a water bottle so i had to teach him bless. Being more experienced and looking back i think he was younger than 8 weeks as he was absolutely tiny and basically just wanted to snuggle all the time or he sat there not moving looking sad, was like having a baby!

boopsy Tue 06-Jun-17 08:38:52

11 days old now but eyes still not open, one was out of the nest and staggering blindly around the hutch this morning but popped him back and he seems ok!

boopsy Tue 06-Jun-17 08:40:29

Bleurghghghgh Mon 12-Jun-17 23:07:49

Don't try to sell your rabbits here when everyone told you how to avoid this.

boopsy Wed 14-Jun-17 06:56:34

Well they all have homes now and people can 'tell' me all they like but i dont agree with aborting healthy animals,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now