Talk

Advanced search

Help!!! Cold and sleepy hamster

(9 Posts)
Isadora2007 Thu 27-Apr-17 09:43:55

Only had little hamster a few weeks. She was playing last night and happy. This morning she is curled up and unresponsive. She feels cool. I thought she was dead but then noticed she is breathing but won't waken up. Dd is cuddling her in a towel.
Vet can't see her til 3pm.

Help!!!

Isadora2007 Thu 27-Apr-17 09:59:12

Bumping so someone will notice

kohl Thu 27-Apr-17 10:00:55

Bump and maybe repost this in chat for traffic OP.

Teddy6767 Thu 27-Apr-17 10:04:26

This happened to me when I was younger. Pet hamster was only a few months old and I hadn't had him long but he just curled up into a ball one day and wasn't responding. He passed away and the vet said it was because he was probably the runt of the litter and had issues with its lungs.
Fingers crossed your one will be ok. Do you have an emergency clinic at your vets? There's one at mine which will see animals within 2 hours

Isadora2007 Thu 27-Apr-17 10:09:46

Thank you guys. 3 pm is soonest appt at vets. (I'm going to be paying £40 to be told she is dying right?)

Poor wee Cookie. She is such a sweet and friendly little thing. 😔

Teddy6767 Thu 27-Apr-17 10:37:37

My vet put mine to sleep when I took him. Ended up costing about £200 but put the poor little thing out of his misery as could have taken him a few days to actually die.
So sorry for your little bundle of fluff :-( they are such gorgeous things

rightsaidfrederickII Thu 27-Apr-17 18:55:16

How was the vet visit? I'm hoping for a good outcome for the little one.

It has been a bit colder over the last few days - might she have gone into torpor?

Isadora2007 Sat 29-Apr-17 01:21:50

Sadly she was PTS yesterday (at a very reasonable cost of £23) as the vet said she had an underlying problem. Possibly heart or kidney related.
Wee dd was very sad last night. 😔

rightsaidfrederickII Sat 29-Apr-17 10:24:41

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that Isadora sad

If you do decide to get another one, do consider a rescue - there are always lots on Gumtree that are in clear need of an owner upgrade, and they are often quite young too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now