Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Any corn snake owners?

(3 Posts)
MyOtherNameIsBetter Sat 22-Apr-17 20:42:13

I've just bought a viv and am going to get a corn for ds(9), I'm just deciding on which particular snake.

Initially I wanted an older one, so it was less wriggly (I also have a 5yo) and didn't live as long due to the long term commitment if ds moves out and found a 10yo one but a fair drive away (day trip there and back). However we've been to a local pet shop who have a yearling that we're quite in love with. The shop say the older they are the more health problems (as I would expect) and expensive vet bills (is this true?) but obviously they have an agenda to sell their snake

Any advice or opinions on what to do?

BibbidiBobbidi Thu 18-May-17 12:09:49

It's not that true.

All older animals are prone to illnesses, that's just natural. However, young snakes are equally prone to illnesses due to the immune system not being built up (same as humans!)

As long as your set up/diet is correct they rarely get ill no matter what age, they are hardy animals.

However, when purchasing an older snake you want to make sure that the enclosure it has been kept in all its life is correct to avoid buying a snake that could have existing health issues.

Look for an exotics vet before purchasing just in case.

I brought my snake a few years ago and he is a fully grown adult and I haven't had any issues so far!

Good luck smile

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Tue 30-May-17 10:39:56

Make sure it has been handled and not just lived in its tank!
We have had a corn snake from hatched (about 5 inched long!) and well handled.
Ds bought a year old Boa which bit dd in the face as it hasn't been handled at all. .
If your ds gets bitten likely he won't want to handle it again!!
Corn snake is now nearly 7 and no health issues at all and never bitten!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now