Talk

Advanced search

Okay - new and improved: Guinea-Pig First Aid Box Thread...

(9 Posts)
70isaLimitNotaTarget Tue 18-Apr-17 21:39:37

Ta Dah :

I have a plastic lidded tub with assorted PigBits in it. Collected over the years . Some things I keep for Just In Case .
Keep an eye on use-by dates as replace as needed.
Most things are available online

Feel Free to pile in wink

In no particular order then:

syringes -order off Amazon or collect the ones from Calpol bottles ( proper syringes have a thinner nozzle so easier to get into tiny mouths)
I have biggish ones to feed liquid food , smaller dosing ones from the vet

Critical Care / Recovery or similar (Fine grind ) to syringe feed little rodents who aren't eating

Vit C tablets - I don't give routinely but if I have an unwell pig , I crush up and syringe feed

Xeno 450- back of the neck drops. Ivermectin

Probiotic powder with Vit C to add to food if required

Salt to make up saltwater solutions
Sterile gauze to cleanse

Gorgeous Guinea Calendula Cream for little dry spots
Gorgeous Guinea Lice'n'Easy shampoo
Gorgeous Guinea shampoo (of choice) for bathing. I have Lemongrass and Cedar as its a good strong scented one.( Good way to sort out grumpy hogs is to bathe them)
I had Just for Boars when we had the boys.

Small sharp scissors to cut fur if need be from a wound, a knot, open packets

Tweezers to pull bits of hay from between teeth (if its bothering them)

Claw clippers - like a scissor with a guillotine 'notch' and
Tiny plier type ones for those pesky little claws that curl in (front paw outer ones)

Virkon S to deep clean (if I get a new piggie or a used hutch or similar). Also white wine vinegar to clean pee spots
Steam gun (but that's household) to deep clean with just watersteam.

The phone number of the vet (in case you lose your phone and can't look it up)

Something that you can freeze in summer ( 2 litre lemonade bottles part filled with water and frozen) wrap in newspaer and stand in their hutch in summer to keep them cool

Ceramic flooor tile to sit on in hot weather

For winter - SnugglePads

A sock - ohh yes.
For if you ever need to recreate SockPig grin

So - c'mon join in.

baddyface Tue 18-Apr-17 23:20:25

This is really useful. Great idea!

FernieB Wed 19-Apr-17 21:56:07

Just been through your list 70, thinking that I'm fairly hopeless as I don't really have a medi-pig box, but actually I have pretty much everything on the list in my pet cupboard (cupboard above the pig cage in the utility). So I'm better equipped than I thoughthalo. Except I don't have a sock handy but I really want to do sockpig.

FernieB Wed 19-Apr-17 21:57:25

Cornflour - for stemming the blood flow when pigs wriggle during claw clipping and you nick them.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 21-Apr-17 15:08:36

If you do try SockPig , you might need the cornflour yourself Fernie grin

I bought Christmas socks for my pigs but we went with hats in the end because GP5 was unwell, didn't seem fair to squeeze her into a sock for Non Medical reasons.

YY to cornflour+eggcup to dip little claws .

TimeIhadaNameChange Tue 25-Apr-17 10:29:19

Couple of questions:

I have the Xeno 450 as one of my guineas has mites, and the 200 spray has a nightmare to give them. It says it's suitable for guineas of 1.2kg+, but the one with the mites is just over 900g. If I dispose of 5 drops would it be ok to give her the rest (ie 3/4 of the pipette, since she's 3/4 of the minimum size)? I have emailed my vet but he's more of a large-animal person and as you've mentioned it I thought I'd jump on the bandwagon here and ask.

Also, according to one site you're meant to put it on the bald patches behind the ear. Is this right?

And lastly, which vit c tablets do you give them? I'd like to get some in stock for them.

Thanks!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 30-Apr-17 20:43:40

Time , I don't think I've ever had a piggie under 1000g grin they are lardy my piggies.
When I got GP3 as a piglet, the Rescue used the Xeno 50 drops (for minipigs) then when we redosed , we used the regular one.

I use it on the back of the neck because they can't reach there to lick , but they can get their paws to their ears are lick their paw after. The only thing we need to be careful with is that they don't groom each other .
I put the pipette right to the skin and wiggle it about the disperse it.
Mine were dosed in Feb , they'll get done again in May before their holiday.

I had to put The First Aid Box to good use last week, DD noticed that GP7 had her eye shut. Out came the salt, boiled up water, gauze. Hoiked a piece of hay out then bathed it.
Straight away her eye was able to open but it was a bit clouded for 24 hours , now clear (I've had this before with a piggie who scratched his eye)

Poor DD was wailing down the phone "She's got a cataract".
'Cataracts don't come up in the space of 12 hours (I tried to reassure her) , we'll give it today and see how she is'
Thankfully, GP7 is firing all cylinders smile

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 30-Apr-17 20:45:37

Vit C was a Holland & Barret dissolvable one . (I only use for poorly pigs, not routinely though some owners do)
The Vit C +Probiotic was from P&H

toffee1000 Sun 30-Apr-17 20:50:39

Isn't there a special type of stuff that stops bleeding? Styptic powder I believe. One of our old guinea's claws snapped off and it bled, that was a fun experience...
We also have vitamin c as a liquid from when one of ours was unwell and we weren't sure if she was eating her nuggets- we did give them veggies etc but we just wanted to give her some extra Vit C just to be sure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now