Talk

Advanced search

New GP (and owner) has a slightly cut ear

(14 Posts)
baddyface Mon 17-Apr-17 20:04:36

I recently got loads of great advice about a cage and GPs to get from here.

We now very happily have two lovely young boars and we are all getting on great. Lots of snuggles and happy noises.

I noticed a few days ago that the bigger GP has a cut on his ear. (They are Rex and their ears fold down so I'm not sure when he hurt it). It's only a little bloody bit surrounded by some white stuff (looks like dry gunky stuff).

Is it a vet thing, or a wash gently with sterile water thing, or a leave it well alone thing?

baddyface Mon 17-Apr-17 20:13:58

I meant I am a new owner, not that I have a cut ear hmm

Astro55 Mon 17-Apr-17 20:15:23

Try some anti septic cream

You wouldn't take kids to the doctors for a small cut

Wash it and put somebody cream on

baddyface Mon 17-Apr-17 20:40:49

Is that human antiseptic cream Astro?

Astro55 Mon 17-Apr-17 22:52:31

Yes - but you can buy Zambuk

It's a natural antiseptic which can be eaten so safe for say cats or dogs that lick themselves

It's in Amazon about £3

Astro55 Mon 17-Apr-17 22:55:09

This

baddyface Tue 18-Apr-17 14:28:38

Thanks I will order some.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Tue 18-Apr-17 21:11:23

as an immediate treatment - boiled water with enough salt to go cloudy. Let it cool to tepid .
Apply with non fluffy gauze.

Good for getting things out of guinea pigs eyes too . And any small wounds.

And if they do lick , it won't harm them .

Its most likely a boar scrap. My little Himmy came along with nicks in her ears. Never bothered her but I have no idea what caused them. (Fight?)

D'you know what..............we need a Guinea-Pig First Aid Box Thread grin

baddyface Tue 18-Apr-17 21:58:50

Love that idea!
I sent a photo to a lady who know a lot about these things and she said looks like a fungal infection. She recommended canesten cream.
I also made a vets appointment for tomorrow as I worried myself on google about ringworm.
Although I won't be able to make that now as dd2 has been throwing up since 8 :-(

Astro55 Tue 18-Apr-17 22:15:41

The vet will charge you £40 upwards just to see you plus any medicine on top

If the lady suggests caniston then try that first

70isaLimitNotaTarget Tue 18-Apr-17 22:25:26

Baddy was it the Rescue you got them from that you sent the photo to?

You've only had these little boys a week or so , you should be able to contact them for advice (most Rescues are happy to give advice over the phone , with emailed photos etc)

And if it is ringworm or fungal, they'd need to know as they need to trace back which pigs yours were in contact with too.

There's good photos on the Gorgeous Guinea site you can compare .

Is his ear itchy? is he scratching at all?

baddyface Tue 18-Apr-17 22:48:39

Astro -thanks for your advice. I think it's because I feel like a proper novice and don't want to mess up that I booked an appointment. The vet is £20 and then obviously stuff on top of that. I'm not sure whether they would advocate using canesten or try to sell me something more expensive. But then I would have to take their word for it as I have very little knowledge of these things. I was torn about the appointment to be honest.

70 - no it was another lady from another rescue place who suggested it. She said she's 90% sure it's fungal. It's just when I googled and saw ringworm and how infectious it is that I panicked.
You're right about me letting the rescue they're from know. I will text her tomorrow. She said she treated them all monthly against mites and other things so I'm hoping it's nothing much.

baddyface Tue 18-Apr-17 22:49:55

It's not the best photo but this is the one the lady saw. It doesn't seem to be bothering him at all. I put some canesten on it earlier and he didn't react at all.

baddyface Wed 19-Apr-17 11:56:03

I cancelled the vet. But it's already looking much better after just two lots of cream on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now