Talk

Advanced search

Our last guinea pig died today

(5 Posts)
fatowl Sat 15-Apr-17 07:52:23

We had three sisters bought in 2009, lovely chattering girls, very sociable.
last year we found GP1 curled up passed away . She'd been ok, but had been off her food for a few days.

Left with two and they were both happy old ladies waddling around the hutch and chattering to the dog (who used to watch them like the TV)

About three months ago, GP2 wasn't looking great and vet found a lump in her mammary gland but she was eating ok and was quite chirpy otherwise so we brought her home and we had her until about three weeks ago when we had her PTS, as the lump was getting very big and sore.

We were wondering about GP3 and whether to get another for company but she somehow managed to twist and dislocate her back leg and was dragging it. The vet was loath to operate (she was 8 after all) and we had her on painkillers and anti inflammatories but she really wasn't moving around and had developed a pressure sore underneath with was infected. DD really wasn't ready to let her go just yet - she was very chirpy and still eating- we've lost two grandparents since Xmas as well and it's all been grim) but I went with the MN mantra of "better a day too soon than a day too late". The vet agreed.
Thinking of our three old girls in Guinean pig heaven across the rainbow bridge and hope
They've found each other

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 15-Apr-17 10:38:45

Oh sad what lovely guineas.
It is a hard decision and you'll go through the "Should I/Shouldn't I?" when you make the choice to PTS but as you say, there really isn't a 'choice' , its the welfare of the Piggie that is uppermost (and they always seem to pick the worst times to test you )

They did have a long happy life together, 8 is a good age for guineas, a very good age.

And The Rainbow Bridge - of course they're waiting for her. My GP4 crossed it in Feb. GP5 in Jan.
Its part of their contract that when the Bridge Bell rings (like Clarence the Angel in Its a Wonderful Life ) they gather at the landing edge halo to welcome the new arrival

You just have to get used to chopping veg and not saving the cut offs " for the Pigs" ...................that's when it hits sad

fatowl Sat 15-Apr-17 11:40:40

Oh gosh, I hadn't thought about the veg chopping - you're right, will be hard to chuck carrot peelings out. sad

The dog is wandering around looking for her - I think she thinks we've moved the hutch

But it was the right decision

dietcokeandwine Sat 15-Apr-17 21:54:18

So sorry, op sad What beautiful girls they were too.

I agree it sounds like you did exactly the right thing.

Sending cake and flowers to you and your family.

MrsMozart Sat 15-Apr-17 21:59:24

So sorry. May they all rest peacefully xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now