Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What does your guinea pigs home look like?

(7 Posts)
andshewillbeloved Mon 03-Apr-17 22:47:12

I have 2 piggies and they're in a medium ferplast cage indoors at the moment but it's looking a bit boring and I want to make it more homely and comfortable for them.

Any tips?

Here is a pic of the little cuties smile

andshewillbeloved Mon 03-Apr-17 22:48:43

Those are nuggets on the floor btw not poo. Toddler "helped" setting the cage up grin

Nowthereistwo Mon 03-Apr-17 22:54:47

This photo was their old cage but I wanted to show the vegetable kebab that keeps them bust for ages, keeps food off the floor and slows them down a bit.

FernieB Tue 04-Apr-17 09:01:16

I'm impressed by the veggie kebabsmile. My pigs have never been ones for reaching/stretching. They much prefer things to be placed under their noses and generally ignore food which isn't - I don't think they want me to get ideas about environment enrichment and foraging.

boopsy Thu 06-Apr-17 09:25:12

Can anyone recommend a good hay rack? We had to take one out as our guinea got stuck in it!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Thu 06-Apr-17 22:45:04

Hay Racks don't work for my piggies .
When we had GP1/GP2 I put a semi-circular basket (the sort for hanging basket attatched to a wall thingie) on the wall. They pretty well ignored it hmm or pulled the hay out and sat on it .
I've tried metal cubes (big ones about 10" sided) , they sat in it .
I tried a big mesh basket - GP4 got inside it and got stuck inside -luckily she didn't panic. The amount of droppings suggested she was there all day grin eating hay.

Best compromise I found for hay is stuffing it into looroll tubes. We had to keep GP3 off hay when he was castrated , looroll tubes worked for him (good in Summer too when we don;t want them sleeping in hay)

Our Piggies Abode- they have a wooden playhouse that DH modified.

GP6 has a rabbit hutch with a door cut out the end side and a floorspace the length of the house.
GP7/GP8 have a wooden hut and a big cardboard box and floorspace.
They have a C&C divide. We move things about to keep them busy /confused wink
3 cardboard tunnels to play in.
Outside 2 rabbit runs (side by side) , HopIn tunnels, cardboard boxes
Winter nights they have a 4'x2' cage and we make a C&C cage,
We have a 2+1 now , last winter we had a 3+2 group.

boopsy Fri 07-Apr-17 07:02:46

Ah poor piggy getting stuck lol. Forgot to answer question 2 guineas lie in ferplast 120 cage. Rabbit 1 lives in kendal hutch with under run and rabbit 2 has a shed 6 by 5 foot to himself! x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now