Talk

Advanced search

One of my bunnies has died

(7 Posts)
catsarenice Fri 31-Mar-17 09:18:38

Went in to feed them this morning and couldn't find her so thought she'd escaped. The other one was acting a bit odd and then I spotted her in their wooden box thing. She was only 3 - absolutely fine last night, no idea what happened. What do I need to do to stop the other one being upset? Do I need to get him a new partner? He his 4. It took about 4 months to fully introduce those 2 and was rather stressful.

catsarenice Fri 31-Mar-17 09:25:06

Forgot to add, I also have another pair who live in another shed - was wondering if I could put their runs near each other so he can get company that way? The 2 boys used to fight really badly though which is how we ended up with 2 pairs as got both the boys a rescue girlfriend!

Iloveanimals Fri 31-Mar-17 10:07:12

Hi smile couldn't read your post and run. I am a rabbit owner (house rabbit) to a five year old bunny. He can't be housed with other bunnies because he's too aggressive blush he bit he's partners ear off hmm
Bunnies outside do have shorter life spans than bunnies that are kept indoors. For instance rabbits are prone to heart attacks, which can easily occur if they see predators outside. They also are exposed to extreme weather changes which they can find difficult. Rabbits sweat glands are placed on their lips and therefore they can find it quite hard to cool down, so are prone to heatstroke. They also can get flystike etc which kills pretty quickly. Have you thought about moving them indoors? I know this is not always an easy thing to do, but it is worth the thought.
But yes, in answer to your question. I think you should try introducing your bunny to another mate, they are very sociable creatures after all and can easily get depressed. Planting the hutches next to each other so that they can see each other is a great idea! Hard work yes but well worth it in the end. I wish my bunny could be housed with another!
But then again I have five pets already so anymore probebly wouldn't make any difference grin
Hope that helped

Iloveanimals Fri 31-Mar-17 10:08:14

P.s. Make sure they're not close enough to hurt each other of they fight x

catsarenice Fri 31-Mar-17 12:04:33

I would love to be able to put all 3 in together but I really don't think that would work. Can't move them indoors as DP is allergic - he can just about cope with the cats but if he feeds the rabbits he puffs right up! I just feel so sad for the remaining rabbit. I've got mil coming round to look after my baby this afternoon so I can spend some time with him sad

Iloveanimals Fri 31-Mar-17 12:56:01

Aww I'm sorry to hear that sad

gleegeek Fri 31-Mar-17 13:32:46

Oh no that's so sadsadflowers
Our 2 boy rabbits had a fight last week, completely out of character and we had to separate them immediately. They are currently in separate hutches opposite each other to try to give them some company and we have 2 side by side runs on the grass and they lie next to each other and sleep. It's very sweet but I do worry they'll be lonely apart... but dh is adamant that 2 lady friends would be 2 too many!!! We'll see...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now