Talk

Advanced search

Cruel to keep hand tame budgie on own?

(16 Posts)
InsaneDame Wed 29-Mar-17 14:41:26

I'm getting a little budgie in a few weeks, he will be quite hand tame when he arrives and I will carry on with the training. I am quite worried that everything I read says you shouldn't keep them on their own as they are flock birds. I really don't want him to be sad but I equally want him to stay tame and bonded to me!

DaffodilTime Thu 30-Mar-17 20:55:11

This is so exciting for you and having a tame budgie ourselves it amazes me they aren't more popular. Ours is just delightful, affectionate and such a fun character.
You are so right to think hard about company- it depends on your lifestyle as if you're around most of the time he'd be ok. I'd otherwise find out about companion birds as it's beyond my experience but I do know has to be done carefully.
I've noticed how needy ours becomes if we've had a day out (he's free range& incredibly tame and we got him as a baby. He took a long time for him to regain his confidence when arrived, so much so I wondered if he'd ever be friendly!)

InsaneDame Thu 30-Mar-17 21:04:16

Thanks for your reply. Just out of interest, how much time do you spend with yours?

JigglyTuff Thu 30-Mar-17 21:10:13

I had a hand tame budgie and he was really happy in a house with lots of bird life outside the window. He was miserable when we moved and he had no window with birds to chat to.

DaffodilTime Thu 30-Mar-17 21:38:51

jiggly that is so nice, ours sits on the kitchen tap when I'm out as I've hung a bird feeder outside the window there but he still calls oit desperately the minute hears a key in the door. Lately I have taken to showing him his travel cage and he hops in if wants to come on the school run or come round the garden, but I worry a lot about him if I manage to get the job I want so would look into another bird then.

insane I'm studying from home so only out when fetching children. If our budgie is feeling lively he keeps up with me round the house and joins whatever I'm doing , but even when he's sleeping he rather likes sleeping on my study book with his head tucked into his body

QuiteLikely5 Thu 30-Mar-17 21:44:12

Aww this is so cute! I didn't realise budgies could be like this

How do you train them? Do they poop all over the house?

DaffodilTime Thu 30-Mar-17 23:19:23

I don't think they often are quite as tame as ours so I think it's important they come from a really keen enthusiast who loves them as ours had a head start that way. And that they are handled really slowly and gently until they trust you (ours kisses us all the time and so trusting he met a huge spaniel today and wanted to be friends!)

I honestly thought ours would never make a great pet he was still so scared when arrived and found travel terrifying at that stage. I sat for about two weeks of study with my hand quietly near him in the cage it felt like and chatted when could be bothered! Now he mostly only goes in the cage when wants but I shut him in at night.

The poos are much easier than you think as they're desert birds from Australia I think? Our budgie's poos hoover up leaving nothing behind and don't seem too many though if he were sitting long in one favourite place it's worth putting a piece of paper under him.

I wish I knew about training so if anyone does I'd be interested as would prefer him to land always on a shoulder rather than also heads! also occasionally he will poo on a head which is annoying.

OP do keep us posted and I don't know anyone else with a budgie so delighted to discuss them anytime!

DaffodilTime Thu 30-Mar-17 23:22:22

Ps the only thing I do know about training is that a sprig of millet (not sure if a sprig is the right term but you know what i mean) is something they'll do a lot for. When ours doesn't want to go in his cage he will if there's millet involved.

Our DC want to train ours to hand out napkins as he picks up Monopoly money and moves it to unhelpful places and it's his favourite game, but I have no idea how training works

InsaneDame Fri 31-Mar-17 07:33:17

The lady I'm getting ours from is very enthusiastic - she detailed the training regime to me so I know he will be very tame when we get him. He is currently in an egg though - I've been on a 'waiting list' and she informed me last week that one of her hens has laid four eggs - I'm so excited! I'm actually currently looking after my Mums hand tamed budgie, I love him so much - I would love him to be a free range bird but we have a cat so have to make sure the cat is shut out before we get him out.

InsaneDame Fri 31-Mar-17 07:36:12

My mum's bird was desperately trying to land on my son's plate of spaghetti hoops on toast yesterday - I had to put him away in the end as he wouldn't stop trying! He also likes to land on heads and will only really go on your shoulder if you are trying to put him away. His favourite place is sitting on a finger being held as close to your mouth as possible and being talked to. He loves it. I'm at work today so he will be left for 8 hours - I've set up a radio for him but worried it's too long to leave him for.

DaffodilTime Fri 31-Mar-17 10:41:51

I love hearing about your mum's bird and he'll be fine today- maybe he's used to being left? And radio Is a great idea. I'm sure they adapt and lovely him enjoying the attention.

Ours is currently driving with us and happily talking to himself (he doesn't talk properly though) .

It is hilarious about the food- I ban ours from mealtimes as he doesn't listen at all either and keeps trying to land on our plates from all angles.

Ours enjoys showers under the tap and has been known to dive into the children's bath which he loves but looks a bit sheepish after and gets so wet he can't fly so looks embarrassed. He loves doing it though!

JigglyTuff Fri 31-Mar-17 10:56:05

Talk radio is great for birds. Whoever asked about pooing, my bird used to poo in one end of the wooden curtain pelmet only so it was easy to clean. He did once poo on my sister's head though grin

QuiteLikely5 Fri 31-Mar-17 11:14:54

Sounds ace!

InsaneDame Fri 31-Mar-17 16:50:19

daffodil don't you get worried that he might get squashed by one of your children? I've got a 8 year old and a 3 year old and I'm so worried they might hurt him. My mum's bird is an ace talker - he says things like 'you're a beautiful bird' 'kiss kiss Mummy' 'you're gorgeous' and 'pirates parrot'! He does have quite a large vocabulary!

DaffodilTime Sat 01-Apr-17 18:22:32

That's amazing talking, wow. That is really fun.

Our two know to look out for him and he's never been hurt but are slightly older. The time I've learnt to shut him away is busier play dates as a) i find some children aren't happy with a budgie and b) one child once just grabbed our budgie in his hand and ran with him! He didn't seem too fazed So I think I was more shaken than the budgie as wasn't expecting that!

peaceloveandbiscuits Sat 01-Apr-17 21:16:08

In my experience they need a companion of some description, whether that's you or another bird. I introduced a new budgie to my fairly hand tame budgie and he wasn't impressed - the new one bullied him quite badly, poor thing. I loved the new budgie but in hindsight I think the original was happier just with me.

I was at home all day so we were great pals and he was out of his cage from morning to night. If you can't offer at least 50% free time and companionship, you should definitely consider getting a second budgie, but preferably at the same time and at a similar training level.

Disclaimer: I haven't kept budgies for a long time, though I'm desperate for some! Will have to wait until my toddler is old enough not to eat the poo hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now