Talk

Advanced search

Rabbits and AstroTurf?

(5 Posts)
Doglikeafox Thu 23-Mar-17 07:52:36

Hi everyone, looking for a bit of advice please. I am currently looking at rescues to try and adopt a rabbit. We're an animal loving household and have had numerous guinea pigs in the past, but no rabbits.
The problem is, we are currently going through the process of getting our garden redone and kept a rabbit in mind throughout the whole process- e.g. The entire garden is secure, the allotment is fenced off so no rabbit nibbling all the crops and have a large-ish lawn and patio. However, we were originally planning on installing drainage into the garden to ensure it drained correctly. We can no longer do this, so are looking at artificial grass in order to make it drain better and so that the garden is useable all year round.
Can I have a rabbit on artificial grass? The hutch itself is raised off the ground with a little run attached, but would hopefully be kept on the patio (if that's an okay thing to do?).
However we were hoping to let the rabbit run around in the garden during the day for a few hours at a time and are worried about him eating it.
We have real grass in the front garden so could quite possibly buy a run, but I would worry about access to the road and wouldn't be able to watch properly for more than 30 mins at a time.
Any experience/ advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you

FernieB Thu 23-Mar-17 12:26:08

Firstly you need 2 rabbits - they need company of their own kind especially if housed alone outdoors. Please do your research about rabbits carefully. They need huge amounts of space and most shop bought cages/hutches aren't really big enough. They need annual vaccinations and both sexes require neutering for health and behaviour reasons.

They are persistent and destructive nibblers and will go for anything they can gnaw. They would almost certainly try to chew and probably dig in the AstroTurf. Houserabbits will try to dig and chew their way through carpet, so I presume AstroTurf would be similar. There's nothing you can do about this really as it's normal rabbit behaviour. My skirting boards have nibble marks in various places and our old sofa was very well chewed. If left unsupervised, it probably wouldn't be too long before they'd chew/dig through into the allotment - they are pretty clever and devious. It's part of their charm for me, but they aren't for everyone.

FernieB Thu 23-Mar-17 12:28:30

BTW a friend had artificial grass put in and it was quite quickly full of holes where the dog had been digging, despite claims from the company that did it, that that wouldn't happen. They also said it would be weedfree, but the weeds pop up fairly frequently anyway.

peaceloveandbiscuits Thu 23-Mar-17 12:39:11

Tbh the grass would be covered in poo soon enough, rendering it unusable anyway. I love fake grass and would love it if we had a garden, but I wouldn't have thought it would be worth it with rabbits.

Doglikeafox Thu 23-Mar-17 13:00:16

Thank you for the advice.
I am an animal lover and experienced pet owner, so would obviously do my research before adopting, hence this post.
We are looking at adopting a rabbit, so whether or not it had a friend would depend on the rescue's recommendations but ideally yes we will have two.
Useful to know about them damaging the turf- I hadn't thought about the poo aspect.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now