Talk

Advanced search

Rabbit advice please

(5 Posts)
CatThiefKeith Sun 12-Mar-17 16:18:23

I have taken my nieces rabbit away today. Poor thing hadn't been out of her hutch since last summer, and was so caked in poo I had to bath her then cut the rest out.

She is overweight, I think, and my plan is to let her roam my (secure) back garden during the day and put her away at night. Is that ok?

My niece was putting saw dust and straw in her hutch, then feeding her hay, dry food and vegetables. It has been over 30 years since I last owned a rabbit so have no idea whether that's right or not really. Also, her claws are very long - can I clip them myself or do we need a vet trip?

Any advice gratefully received.

FernieB Sun 12-Mar-17 17:55:03

Well done on the rescue. Poor bun - I'm sure she'll be happier in your care.

I'd take her off to the vets anyway for a check up and to be vaccinated (as she probably hasn't had her injections). I know lots of people have free roaming buns and they're fine, but I'm a bit cautious, so I wouldn't let her roam unless I was around (I do have a fair few cats which visit though).

The vet will be able to advise on diet, but if she's overweight the general advice is to cut back on nuggets and veg and make hay the main part of the diet. With a bit of roaming, she'll soon lose some weight. How old is she?

FernieB Sun 12-Mar-17 17:56:41

I do my own claw clipping. Little and often is easier. You can get clippers from pet shops. Given this buns state though, I'd get the vet to do it this time.

CatThiefKeith Sun 12-Mar-17 18:17:22

Thank you. Yes a trip to the vet is high in my list of priorities. Poor thing. She is cuddled up on dd's lap watching Pan at the moment. She seems happy enough.

Sweetpeabec Sat 18-Mar-17 08:08:25

A rabbit should have an egg cup of pellets a day (not musli or mixed feed). Unlimited hay and water. Fruit is rationed to 1 or 2 tablespoons and veg is about 1 cup a day of about 3 different greens. Saveafluff.com or indoorrabbit are good sites for advice x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now