Talk

Advanced search

Guinea Pig problems

(5 Posts)
LionandPheasant Wed 08-Mar-17 21:12:01

My six year old Guinea Pig has just passed away and his three year old younger mate is left alone. I am wondering what to do. I would much rather not get another GP to keep him company as I could get stuck in a cycle of replacing GPs for ever. However, GPs are social animals and it doesn't seem fair to keep the remaining piggie on his own and he probably has at least a couple of years left to live.

Has anyone else had this dilemma. If so, what did you do? Is there any organisations which rehome older guinea pigs?

carefreeeee Thu 09-Mar-17 12:42:07

If I were you I'd get an older companion for him. He will be very lonely on his own for 3 years. There are rescue organisations that have all different ages of pigs and can arrange dates. They are usually small and local.

They will often advise on how to introduce the pigs etc and might be able to give you the option to swap if the first one you try doesn't get on with your existing one!

Toottootcar Thu 09-Mar-17 13:00:20

Pets at home have a rehoming section where you might find one. You can look them up online too.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 10-Mar-17 11:06:54

There are Rescues who will take a lone bereaved boar. They would either Boar Match with a piglet or neuter him if his health allows, then he can be matched with sows/sow

You could do either yourself if you want to get more piggies.
But you need really to put the basic needs of the pig first, and that is a companion.
If he's on his own, chances are he won;t have another 3 years . (My boar is looking a bit meh at the moment having lost his two sows, but I have two other adult females that I'm trying to bond with him, got them in May- I think he'll perk up hugely once we get them bonded)

Adult boars that are strangers are hard to bond, it takes a really laid back boar to accept another adult boar , but not impossible.

Its a huge problem that we all face when we have piggies though sad

LionandPheasant Mon 13-Mar-17 13:39:36

Thank you for your message 70isa. The good news is that I have managed to find someone to take my lonely piggie. They are going to try to introduce him to their Guinea Pig who has also lost his mate recently. I am keeping my fingers crossed that they like each other!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now